• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cargo Seat Repairs

Amer-team

One tip I would give, if you don't need a 100 point restoration on the troop seats, instead of countersinking a hole as in the first photos, just drill your proper size hole for the carriage bolt and leave the head on the surface. This does not give you a water sump to allow moisture to sit in there and soften the wood and cause corrosion on the bolt. That corrosion and soft wood is why most of us had to resort to extraordinary measures to remove the old carriage bolts.
Paint everything first, install and paint again. The way many of our trucks are maintained and used, you will most likely only have to give some touch up paint every couple of years.

So far the readily available spray paints in 24087 seem to be too brown to match my original trucks. So I do the best I can on the metal paint. I took a clean part off the truck and went to the paint store, they did a great match in an exterior house paint, and a gallon goes a long way for these small wood painting projects.

If anyone is interested, I will go out and dig out the can and give the brand and the mix number that the man at the paint store came up with. He was very particular and did a nice job.

Bill W., sorry to hear about the accident with the planer, that's rough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks