• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clansman radios

Pawnshop

I have a PRC-77 that I am using in my M1009 with a Mr.Haney 12v cig lighter adapter and a big green stick and I decided to get a British surplus Clansman RT-350 for a portable companion. I like the unit so far and am strongly considering adding a RT-349 and 351 to go along with it. My question is: are there ANY US sources for Clansman gear? I don't mind dealing with the Brits but the shipping costs are seriously eating into my budget!

jamieboy

:ditto: I am in the same boat. Bought 2- prc-351's from the UK, and over the past couple of months have added lots of accessories. I probably have paid twice or more in shipping as to what I paid for the equipment. I have not found any US sources yet. There is one seller that
always has his items listed on the US (*bay) site [Alpha*Alpha] but i have been waiting over 2 months for him to replace a battery and headset??(beware) If i find a source or if you come across anything be sure to post. I always go on the UK site and do a search for clansman and usually get about 800 hits. Seems most of the US surplus radio gear is drying up!!

Pawnshop

Same here, half of my 350 cost was shipping! I have seen Alpha's stuff on there but have not dealt with them yet (thanks for the heads up). I had initially decided against the 351 because I have a PRC-77 but I don't think this stuff is ever going to be any cheaper than it is right now and redundancy is not so bad:), AND the hand crank generator intrigues me:) Will advise if I find a US seller too. BTW: If you get a 350 I now know how to make the "C" cell cassette work!

jamieboy

Sounds good. i have one of the hand crank generator's and they work great. As long as you have a good battery. The 351 stuff is pretty heavy, when you put it all together, but seems to work pretty good. I have a large collection of PRC Squad radios (68-126-128-136) and the light weight of those units will spoil you. Keep working on that ham license, i have had mine for almost 20 years. It's a great hobby and service.

Pawnshop

I have a friend with a 126 that I covet:) I am hoping the UK 349 will be cool enough to satisfy my "need" for a 126... I am not worried about the Technician license, just have to get off my arse and do it. Once I have it I will submit my father's death certificate and get his call sign assigned to me, he got it back in the 50's and I would like to keep it going.

Last edited:

Jon_H

Hi guys,
I may be a bit late into the conversation, but I'm looking for a pair of Clansman TUAAM boxes with ATUs, did you ever come across a reputable US source for your Clansman kit?

Cheers
Jon

Pawnshop

I don't believe there are ANY US sources for Clansman Kit! The best bet is eBay UK (eBay - one of the UK's largest shopping destinations), some sellers will not ship to the US while others have no problem with it.

One of the Alamo MVPA members has a Lightweight Land Rover non FFR that he has installed some radios in, however he does not know (or care to know) if they work!

Attachments

Jon_H

Thanks for the reply and PM, much appreciated.

Like your friend in the Alamo MVPA, my interest is more in the aesthetics of showing the Lwt rather than actually sending & receiving, although my ultimate (long term) plan is to kit out the truck as it would have been setup in service and it would be good if it was all working. (I don't have a HAM lic but I know a number of guys that do)

I'll let you know how I get on, thanks again for the info
Jon

Pawnshop

If you want INOP equipment you can get some really good deals, however the shipping will be the same price (and shipping will be about the same cost as working gear) , so you may as well get stuff that works. Once you start messing with it you will get addicted to green radios and you will regret not being able to use them if you don't get the good stuff!

Jon_H

If you want INOP equipment you can get some really good deals, however the shipping will be the same price (and shipping will be about the same cost as working gear) , so you may as well get stuff that works. Once you start messing with it you will get addicted to green radios and you will regret not being able to use them if you don't get the good stuff!
Hmmm... You make a good point, if I'm going to pay the shipping costs anyway I might as well get working kit.

It would be pretty interesting to build a working set for the Lwt though, it might take a bit of time to build up all the kit required, but it could be another aspect to MV ownership. Ironically enough, many moons ago when I was a teen, my Army recruiter had me slated for the Royal Signals :roll:

I'll keep you updated on my progress, thanks again

Pawnshop

We use the radios in convoys and parades, it is a LOT of fun, and some day they may come in handy in a serious situation. Hopefully we will never have to rely on them, but it's good to know we can if we need to.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was quite happily radio-less when Pawnshop showed me the PRC-77.
Says me, frowning- "Yes, I remember those, they were heavy and people shot at you more because of the antenna".
Says Pawnshop - "Indeed! But now you have an entire truck to carry it in, and folks usually don't shoot at you over here".

Shortly after that he showed me me his PRC-350 and told me what it cost. Now I have, in numerical order, a PRC-349, -350, -351, and -352. Plus a whole bunch of green stuff with cables hanging out of them that make everything work in trucks. Darnit!

And I am trying to squeeze all the stuff in that big red ham radio license book into my aged brain. Darnit!

I oughta quit hangin' out with Pawnshop...

Cheers

PS It is fun though! :)

Last edited:

Jon_H

Just wanted to give you guys a quick update.

I got a couple of replies and quotes back from the UK, including some that you recommended, however, the shipping cost were more than the cost of the kit. Unfortunately this put me over budget :cry:

I'll have to bide my time and keep my eyes open for a deal State-side, or wait until I next go home, whenever that may be :roll:

Thanks again for your suggestions
Jon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks