• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Clearance required to pull oil pan

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Situation: engine out, cribbed on blocks of 6x6 on my trailer (so I can work on it and move it; I have no lifting devices).

I have approximately 10 inches of clearance underneath the "deep" hump of the oil pan (about the depth of the sump). Before I lay down inside the trailer, spoon with the LDS, and make a mess (with oil!), is that enough clearance to drop the pan and pull it out? I have enough room on the sides.

I **can** jack the engine higher, but try to only lift it up as high as necessary. And, safety first, the engine will be strapped down with two ratchet straps to prevent shifting or tilting.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You should be good with 10-11 inches. And even with less - once you can reach and unscrew the caps-crews holding the deep-sump pick-up tube to the oil pump and engine block (LDS), everything will come out easily.
"Make a mess with oil...?" Why so? There shouldn't be much oil left in the pan, after drained.

G.