• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cold start problems its that time of year

shortydooo222

Currently in wisconsin temps are getting well below freezing and I've been having real issues starting my truck for work. I've read the other threads on this topic but here's where mine differs. I have replaced all glow plugs with the ac60g a week ago and my starter is less than a year old and same with my batteries. But this thing doesn't want to start. I've reverted to using a silcone spray with propane and butane but no ether that gets it to go after running the starter for literally 20sec straight. Then the entire parking lot fills with white smoke after that. After the initial start it'll start fine for the rest of the day. What's going on here? And has it become silicone "reliant"? I'm getting really tired of getting up an hour early to make sure I can get it started and get to work some help would be awesome

shortydooo222

I do hold down the accelerator and that does seem to help but it still dogs and just dumps smoke until it turns over. And yea I fill it up with the "winterizied" diesel from kwik trip but who knows how many additives are actually in that

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I think I would follow the trouble shooting procedure in the -20, where it says, "cranks but does not start".

It is systematic and thorough.

shortydooo222

Well here's my problem guys. I'm a college student and I live on campus so I only have access to a full garage of tools the couple of times a year I go home. So until thanksgiving or christmas any thing that requires a multi meter i cant do.ive been seeing a lot about the gp card failing the momentary push button over ride seems like something I can do with the tools I do have should I just do that or will that even have an effect.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can try manually controlling the gP relay with a piece of wire, screwdriver or pliers. Simply ground the blue wire(on the GP relay) for 10-12 seconds with the key on. See if it helps you. If it does, then adding a manual pushbutton may get you by for now.

I would not drive a cucv away from home without a multi meter. They are less than $10 at harbor freight. They are priceless for diagnostics.

You may have bad GPs. Is your GP relay supplied with 24v through the resistors or has it been converted to 12v supplied to the GP relay?

What brand of Gps do you have, and when did you change or check them last?

Your truck should start with 3-5 seconds of cranking, maximum.

shortydooo222

I know im really regretting not bringing it with me. Im still on the stock 24v system it has never been converted and I just installed all 8 brand new ac delco 60g glow plugs a week ago and this is the second time I've done this so all the connectors I already switched. Also if I do ground out that blue wire will I hear anything (the relay cycle) that would indicate that the gps are heating

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You may hear the relay click, but that is no indication that the GPs are heating(but they should be).

After all this, I strongly recomend you resupply the GP relay with 12v.

Hasdrubal

As said above, confirm that your GP relay is actually heating the plugs. Do check your plugs to confirm they are all good. Starter rotation speed is also critical. Another issue is that AC60's require more burn time to heat up, I have a manual push button, when it's that cold I have to give it a full 20 second burn to fire right up. As you have the stock card operated system this is not an option. I believe there was a thread on here somewhere that explained how add a diode or resistor I think, to the card to make it time for longer burns.

Disconnect batteries. Disconnect the resistor supply wire from 24v power bar. Resupply the GP relay with 12 volts directly off the 12v stud just above and to the left of the GP relay.You can use the same wire that comes off the right side of resistor.

Last edited:

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have ac60 gps, and the stock controller system works just fine with them. Never needed to cycle twice, ever.

Under 0F, I would suggest you may want to cycle them twice before cranking.

We are working on creating a simple and correct sticky for resupplying the GP relay with 12V.

There are dozens of threads out there now. It take about 4 minutes and costs about 1-5$.

The post above is exactly correct.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks