• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Compound Turbo

mo-mudder

I've heard of using the turbo off a 5 ton to increase the boost and that helps out quite a bit. The only problem there is head gaskets. Even a stock 5 ton turbo will cause the head gaskets to fail unless things are watched very closely. I guess you could always tear the engine down and fire ring the heads, but I'm not sure if it's worth the expense.

mo-mudder

Ideally, yes. But we're (for the most part) dealing with a 50 year old tractor engine in a narrow RPM rangeburning anything from gasoline + 30 wt oil to 90 wt gear oil with a splash of kerosene to thin it. I understand where you're going with the coolness factor and all, but it'd probably be easier to get a new-ish 24 valve Cummins or an 8.3 ISC Cummins and twin that and shoot 20 foot flames out the stack.

jwaller

not needed. you get full boost in a stock application at a very low RPM.

the point of compound turbos is to:
1. keep a turbo in it's peak eff range.
2. decrease spoolup time.
3. double the reapir bill when something goes wrong.
4. double the complexity of the entire system.

In these trucks it's not needed and not wanted. spoolup is very fast and the stock turbo is enough to blow the guts out of the motor anyway.

if you want more power turn up the fuel and WATCH the EGT's !!!