• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Confused on HDO 10 HDO 30

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What is comparable generic oil for the 6.2? Does the 10 mean 10w30 or similiar? What does 30 mean? I've never heard of 30w anything????? I want to be sure I have the right oil as the AM General troubleshooting guide indicates if you don't have the right oil, the engine might not spin fast enough to start.

papakb

A little research would have answered this question. The numbers are viscosity ratings indication the equivalent oil thickness hot and cold. The lower number is the thickness cold and the higher number is it's hot rating. A thinner oil allows the engine to start more easily when cold and then the viscosity builds as the engine warms up. The "w" means it was tested cold. Here's AMSoils explanation: http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Both Rotella and Delo 400 are great oils for these engines.

Kurt

tage

^^
to expand the regular 30W is same viscosity at all temp ranges. They make it 40w, 50w, and up. In some older standard gear boxes actually call for straight 50w...
Basic principles of in hot climate you use heavier oil, and cooler lighter oil viscosity.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A little research would have answered this question. The numbers are viscosity ratings indication the equivalent oil thickness hot and cold. The lower number is the thickness cold and the higher number is it's hot rating. A thinner oil allows the engine to start more easily when cold and then the viscosity builds as the engine warms up. The "w" means it was tested cold. Here's AMSoils explanation: http://www.upmpg.com/tech_articles/motoroil_viscosity/

Both Rotella and Delo 400 are great oils for these engines.

Kurt
OK got it, so if i wanted to test a theory that my motor wasn't cranking over fast enough when cold below 32degrees, I would drain and replace with 5W-30 for example. Or if I wanted the best of all worlds in the frozen tundra in winter and good enough in summer in MN, 5w40 would suffice as the best all around oil.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK got it, so if i wanted to test a theory that my motor wasn't cranking over fast enough when cold below 32degrees, I would drain and replace with 5W-30 for example. Or if I wanted the best of all worlds in the frozen tundra in winter and good enough in summer in MN, 5w40 would suffice as the best all around oil.
every truck on your signature line takes 15w-40
diesel engines use a formula designed for these engines.
i wouldn't use anything else...my 2016 Duramax takes 15w-40

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks