• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Convoy Light installation with a soft top question..

mhb285

I started to install my convoy light kit that I had stashed in my garage. It soon came to a stop. The stock soft top that I have on my truck hangs down in the way of the legs that are suppose to bolted onto the back of the cab.
I was thinking of cutting the top..... Soldier B recommended that I ask here for a second opinion. I thought about placing the top between the leg and the cab. The top hangs below the top U-bolt that supports the upper part of the leg.
Anybody have any usefull suggestions?
Thanks
Mike

steelandcanvas

Photos? I spaced my poles off of the cab back with two short lengths of Uni-Strut and the correct size strut strap, one just right under the bottom of the cab cover and one towards the bottom of the cab. It's 32* and snowing right now or I'd go out and take a photo or two.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would not cut the soft top for this. I used steel conduit and U bolt pipe clamps in the existing cab holes. I know that the pipe needed to be spaced off the rear cab wall in order to accommodate the soft top and I used the appropriate exhaust pipe clamps with a built-in "spacer". It was tight but not a big problem. Maybe adjusting the softtop is an option as well?

Here is my install with pics; maybe it helps. http://www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?96213-Queen-Lola-gets-her-Convoy-Light-installed

Last edited:

eagle4g63

When I had my soft top on I used exhaust clamp pieces to space the poles off the back of the cab just enough to clear the top nicely.....and they are cheap.

mhb285

was hoping to NOT modify anything..... But, being a realist........I'll look into using the muffler clamp to see if I can get a standoff off clamp & get the convoy lights mounted... Thanks for ALL help!

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks