• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Cooked Optima Yellow Tops

CaptainChaos

1990 M998. Was cruising right along and started to smell rotten eggs, pulled over to discover the batteries hissing and discharging steam. Batteries date 9-21. Note: they were not secured by straps or proper mounts by previous owner so my question is flopping around, bad alternator, voltage regulator or what? Where do I start?

CaptainChaos

That was my initial thought as well. Grabbed a couple of yellow tops, cleaned the battery compartment and all connections thoroughly. I removed the cap on the voltage regulator and got 33 volts upon cranking the engine and the in cab gauge immediately hit the red. I know the regulator is adjustable but my question is what is the range of adjustment as I understand I should be between 28 and 28.5 volts. Any help is greatly appreciated.