• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Coolant Leak

Moto4Life

I have a '73 M35a2 and it appears to be leaking coolant from the oil cooler, just behind the oil filters, or where the oil cooler mates to the block. Is this a common place for the multifuel to leak coolant? Thanks in advance!

Heavysteven

It appears so, I copied this from a recent thread. Good luck

Engine Parts supplier and Oil Cooler Part Numbers
As my oil cooler started to leak coolant, I was in need to find the correct gaskets and packing o-rings. After consuting with a local heavy diesel shop that knows their stuff, they cross-referenced our LDT-465 engine to a Hercules D4800T (T for turbo). At $2.90 for each gasket (oil cooler to housing and oil cooler cover) and $2.00 for each o-ring, I was out the door pretty cheap with new parts (not gaskets/orings from the 60's and 70's).

Hercules Distributors

That link will show you suppliers in your area.

Here are the part numbers as follows:

(1) Oil cooler to housing: HER375098-00
(1) Oil cooler cover: HER375101-00
(2) O-rings/packing: HER 207388-00

Hope that helps, I know I was in a pickle! The guys at the shop even let me borrow a manual for the engine... great information!

crazywelder72

speaking of leaks, i got my first coolant leak today. top radiator hose. where its so short it seems as thou it will be a bear to install. anyone do it yet? any tips?

(sorry for hijacking the thread)

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Another common leak is through the radiator cap, if the overflow tube gets clogged with corrosion over the years. Mine got clogged, and running down the road coolant just started spewing out the side engine cover. The pressure built up, the overflow had nowhere to go, starting coming out the radiator cap, and the fan blades did the rest of the mess. Simple fix, a wire coat hanger shoved down the overflow pipe fixed it.

glcaines

I just had a coolant leak in my A2 on Saturday. I had volunteered to haul some plants for the local garden club in my A2. Coolant is spewing from the overflow tube, which leads me to believe I need a new radiator cap. The truck is running at the correct temperature. I haven't had time to troubleshoot the problem yet. I used my A3 to haul the plants.

joshs1ofakindxj

They will have it. Any of the straight hose is easy to find. Its usually sold by the foot.
Napa did have it for $20 a foot, 2" I believe, and the counter man said that's just ridiculous and sold it to me for $15 a foot. One foot gives me enough to do the two hoses on the oil cooler line and the two hoses on the manifold lines.

I'm not running coolant leak free. Woohoo!