• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Correct markings for an USAF M1009 ?

Fabrizio

Hello,

I'm a modeler and I'll project to build a M1009 in 1/48th scale of Edwards AFB in 1989.

I have find this post of 2008 :

I've attached two pictures of a USAF M1009, the doors are marked correctly for the 80's except one stencil is missing. Underneath the "84K32" there should be 1" stencils reading "FOR OFFICIAL USE ONLY"
On the back of the vehicle, the lower left corner was marked with the MAJCOM (Major Command) 3 letter designator, in this case AFE, Air Forces Europe, also known as USAFE. I remember it because of the song, M-I-C-K-E-Y-U-S-A-F-E.
The lower right corner was the airbase, in this case SAB or Sembach Air Base, not to be confused with Spangdahlem Air Base which was SPAB.
I have no idea how they were marked stateside, I did 8 long tours overseas, I was never stationed in the US during my entire career.
I think that stateside an airbase was called an AFB (Air Force Base) as in RAFB, Randolph Air Force Base. Overseas, we were simply an Air Base, as in RAB or Ramstein Air Base.
Clear as mud?
-Sarge
Please, what could be correct markings for a M1009 of Edwards AFB ?

Thank you very much.

Crash_AF

EAFB would be the base initials, and then the MAJCOM would be SAC, or ACC, or MAC, whichever Edwards was.
Unit markings would be something like 21SPS for the 21st Security Police Squadron or whatever Wing number was on Edwards at the time. Could also have been a CES vehicle for Civil Engineering Squadron.

Hope that helps.

Joe

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
That's not correct. It should have on the doors and tailgate, on top Emergency Repair Service. Under that, cable TV, refrigerator, and microwave. Under that, We Repair the Most Critical Assets First.

Front of hood---EMERGENCY in reverse letters so you can read it in the rear view mirror.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks