• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv blazer help

krazykooters69

i have 85 cucv i just bought. im just wondering why my gen one light and oil light are on when the truck isnt running...it has low voltage running to it cuz the lights are dim. but soon as you start the truck they shut off...altenator charges fine and oil pressure is good. Is there a bad diode or bad regulator causing there to be low voltage to come threw??

krazykooters69

Well...I mean I guess I'm an idiot for wondering why an idiot light is still on even tho key is off and not in the ignition....thanks for your reply tho it was helpful...I understand why those lights come on theyre suppose to ever the gen two light. My problem is the oil light and gen 1 light are on when the truck is off and key is out.

Last edited:

Oldsouthernboy

Best check all your grounds in the system, the ground under the left side of the dash (spider looking thing), then the right front battery negative ground, the the left front light ground, it may be your having a bad ground and back feeding to if the system trying to ground out. Just my suggestion, also look at the wiring diagrams in the manual and trace the wiring in the drawing to give you a better idea of tracing the problem. Many grimlins can be killed by cleaning and regrounding the system. Check the engine ground also plus the alternator connections.

dunedigger

Grounds can be a major problem but will cause things to not work. I don't understand the backfeed comment? I would think it's a problem in the steering column between the ignition switch and the key cylinder not letting they key return to off? Will your fan blower turn on also?

Oldsouthernboy

Back feeding is caused by the system looking for a ground and will try to ground out where it is not supposed to, The power seeking ground may be going where ever it can ground out, when grounds are bad or week strange things happen, clean gounds are a great problem solver

Blood_of_Tyrants

Sorry, dude, you didn't explain that the ignition was off and the key was out. Go to the TM and find the schematic and follow the wires to see where they go and that will give you an idea what could be wrong.

D T

grounds are a good place to start,I am curious if your GEN#2 light comes on, if it doesnt you have some other issues also

coyotegray

i have 85 cucv i just bought. im just wondering why my gen one light and oil light are on when the truck isnt running...it has low voltage running to it cuz the lights are dim. but soon as you start the truck they shut off...altenator charges fine and oil pressure is good. Is there a bad diode or bad regulator causing there to be low voltage to come threw??
krazykooters69,

Welcome to the sight. My apologizes for the reception you received.
You will find many knowledgeable people here willing to help you. Check out the TM's especially the operators manuals.. Please feel free to ask any questions you have..

Andy..

krazykooters69

The lights work as they should I found that the regulator and one battery were shot. I need to rebuild the one generated is all. THANKS for the help and ideas

I had the exact same problem. After having read many threads, I found this to be a symptom of a bad diode trio in Gen1. I rebuilt the alternator with the help of the TM and the reccomended rebuild kit mentioned here on Steel Soldiers as 27si rebuild kit. Problem solved. :jumpin:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks