• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV-II Engine Popping Noise

Stonepicker1

Well my CUCV-II started to make a popping noise after I got off the turnpike on my way home from work. See the youtube video.

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uhvCdHrsaho&feature=player_detailpage[/media]

I hooked up the scan tool an turned off each injector. when I turned off the #2 injector the noise stopped. I replaced the injector, but still have the noise. I opened the #2 injector line and the nosie stopped.

I will have to pull the pass side valve cover off and see if the rocker / valve / pushrod might be the problem.:sad:

Attachments

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Always something to work on.:wink:

On a side note, did you ever find a part number for the receiver hitch?

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Have never heard that before, but all the racket through the induction says burned intake valve to me. It does not sound like a rod knock.

jdknech

My civy 6.5 made that noise once.... :x

It was a burnt exhaust valve... But seeing as your poping is coming out the intake.. (mine was poping through the exhaust). I would say burnt intake valve as well.. auaaua

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like a bent push tube. Engines pop like that when the valve timing is off.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never done it on a diesel but on a gasser I have used compressed air it check for leaking of valves.

Before pulling the valve cover I would check the compression and also make an adapter to use compressed air to check the valves.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have never done it on a diesel but on a gasser I have used compressed air it check for leaking of valves.

Before pulling the valve cover I would check the compression and also make an adapter to use compressed air to check the valves.

southdave

Mine in my 1009 was having the same noise emitting from except mine was alot louder.
after I pulled my cam was wiped, and lifters where wiped out.. I staved the cam of oil with my turbo oil line hook up..

Stonepicker1

[media]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ebYIdxfTg_4&feature=youtu.be[/media]

I pulled the valve cover off and pulled the pushrod out. They are straight and not bent. The rocker arms look good also.
I will try to do a compression test, but looks like I will be pulling the head.

I'm still thinking I will just pull the engine. Easier to work on.

Attachments

ranchhopper

Its a collapsed lifter sone of mine sounded like that after I brought them home from the GL yard they were sitting for years. Until the oil pumped them up after starting they would pop through the intake.

Stonepicker1

Worked on the CUCV-II today, I pulled the lifters out of the #1 cylinder and replaced them( not that hard to do with the heads still on ). Replaced the injectors also. Just put the valve cover back on and the wife said it's dinner time. Hope to get ths running soon so I can go pickup my CUCV-II Crew Cab in PA next week. If not, I'll be using the CUCV Dually to pull the gooseneck trailer.