• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

cucv m1028 starting on its own

msg bruce

Havent found anything in the forum on this one.
I was installing brackets for the fog lights. no where near any electrical when the engine started cranking. Finally got it to stop cranking after disconnecting the positive terminal and the negative one as well.
Mean time the blue and 2 orange wires from the positive terminal board on the passenger side smoked. the orange ones disconnected completely. The Blue one is just about melted thru.
So I reconnected the positive battery terminal and tried to do some trouble shooting. The blue wire while toast is still connected so I touch the orange wire to the section that was its other half and the engine wants to crank again. One of the orange wires I cant even figure out where it was connected to.
Anyone got any ideas ?

patracy

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Moved to CUCV forum.

You've burnt up the fuseable links. Many upgrade the starter relay under the dash. Please search "doghead relay". Your truck will continue to try to start until the relay is corrected.

marchplumber

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I saw something here about a dog head relay but I still am not clear on it.
Do a simple search for it here on the site or even Google. It's also in the CUCV forum section. Simple to do and pretty inexpensive considering what could get destroyed for "not" doin it. There are threads with pictures and everything! =) (I like pictures! LOL)

msg bruce

K so I am looking at the positive terminal block and I have 4 wires to deal with on is blue to a fuse able link then to red. 2 others are orange and one that kinda looks like realllly dirty orange or some shade of tan.
The schematic in the 9 manual is not really helping much with this one either.
guessing the blue to red heads to generator 2 with one of the orange heading there as well the other orange and the tan I have no idea about.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks