• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV ?s

DieselJeep

I'm looking at buying a 86 Chevy 1ton CUCV. I going to be using it to tow a landscaping trailer 4-5k lbs about 300 miles a month. How well will it hold up. I understand its not going to be fast, I just want something solid to use as a work horse that gets decent fuel mileage. I have a little experiance with the 6.2 in the old HMMWV's. What should I look out for. Thanks in advance.

Westech

CPL
well really that truck will hold up, but your right you wont be going very fast and really with the low gears and the low power 6.2 your not going to get that great of fuel mileage. You will prob dip in to the 10's for fuel mileage I would guess ( I have owned a couple of CUCV's). really a older 1988+ Chevy 3/4 ton with fuel injection would be better. Gas is cheaper then diesel and a 350 will get in the low teens. A cucv is a good play truck but really not a great "work" truck.

DieselJeep

I'm getting in the 10's with my 05 duramax( somethings wrong and no one can figure it out). I'm just looking for a good work horse. I'm planning on swapping the engine in the future (cummins or isuzu) and am basically looking something that I can tow safely with and use as a solid platform to build a good work/off road truck with. Plus if its already titled as a diesel I won't have the emmisions requirements headaches when I swap engines later.

Westech

CPL
ah yeah! I get 19.5 all around in mine and its a early 2004 and over 12 with a 35 foot goose neck loaded with tires.

If your going to swap engines and want to get around the exhaust test well I think you just talked your self in to it.

and get your injectors replaced. its under warranty. I had mine done and what a difference. Mine went bad at 12k and they finally took my word that there were shot at 70k. after they were replaced it made all the difference.

Attachments

DieselJeep

My 02 got that fuel mileage my 05 never came close. They won't swap injectors cause theres no codes or smoke. Plus if I sell it that gives me extra money to put into my new house and maybe "new" CUCV I'm only driving the duramax about 300 miles a month anyways. Basicaly I'm just trying to make sure this CUCV will be safe till I can properly upgrade it.

AJMBLAZER

Put some 33's or 35's on it and you'd be able to tow all day and get low teens in gas mileage. Mine gets around 12-13 or so with my heavy ass Michelin 38's.

DieselJeep, the only thing wrong with your current truck is that its a Duramax. :lol: Most of the newer ones get awful mpg. I've heard on average, low teens without hauling, 9-10 hauling.

AJMBLAZER

It's not just a Duramax thing. Ford, Dodge, and GM are having the same problems. The ULSD started the downward slide in economy and now the emissions equipment is choking them more so they're getting 2/3 or so what they used to get just 5 model years ago.

DieselJeep

Yeah thats what I've been seeing. Thats why I've been looking to get a pre-emissions diesel and customize it to todays horspower and drivability. You know, I've always wondered which does more "damage" to the environment, vehicles without emmissions crap burn less fuel less efficiently or vehicles with emmissions crap that burn more fuel just more efficiently. Kind of make you wonder.

Yeah ULSD, egr, cats, and DPF's suck the life out of diesels. but even a 2005 Powerstroke or Cummins will get a lot better mpg's than the same year Dmax. But all the newest ones get about 13-15 (Cummins gets the best). If you cut the particulate filter off you get a crap load more power and mpgs, at the expense of a couple thousand dollar fine if you're caught.

rod

I have an "03 2500HD Duramax Extended Cab & an '08 3500Hd Duramax Crewcab duelly.

In the 2500HD I am getting 12.7 pulling a 10k trailer on the interstate and recently got 17 pulling a 1k trailer on a 1500 mile trip.

In the 3500HD I am getting around 13.8 on the road empty and 10 something pulling a 24' gooseneck loaded with 7k.

The 2500Hd is in the shop now getting the leaky transfer case fixed and hopefully the injectors since I am beginning to see some smoke while sitting still.

dependable

I'm a landscaper as well. The cucv is a great local truck. I've hauled a bobact with one of mine that is converted to duel wheels. I prefer using my f-800. I would not want to attempt highway speeds with two ton trailer load without good trailer breaks. The 4.65 / 1 gear ratio is great up to around 50 miles per hour then you are spinning too fast.

ARMYMAN30YearsPlus

In Memorial
In Memorial
I have a 98 Diesel Suburban and it gets around 22 since I drive in the slow lane and let the diesel shift me through the gears all at a steady 1500 RPM I do have big tires on it and I think my milage may have dropped a little with the 285 75 radials. It is not lifted and stock exhaust. I think you will like the heavy duty old CUCV truck just fine. I loaded one up with over 4,000 pounds of wood in Desert Storm and it handled it fine. I am getting my M1031 and one of the first things that it will get is bigger meats on the rims. They do drive slow on the highway, 140 horsepower can only climb a hill so fast with a heavy truck.

I was going to buy a duramax if they made a Suburban with it but now I am glad they did not because I will just keep the old 98 till it rots

DieselJeep

My 02 DMax was awsome I saw 21mpg empty and 16 solid towing 6-10k around town. This 05 just ain't doing it. I'm thinking if I get a truck with a good solid frame (CUCV) and build a cummins 4bt or isuzu into it without emmissions with a 6spd I should do pretty well. Time will tell.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks