• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

CUCV turbo and nv4500 swap

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Yup, dual stat and fan upgrade. The guy really did most everything to the truck before I bought it(cept for head studs, still on the list) and save for the gear reduction starter. She really zings to life now!

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Price isn't a problem if it's the right wayou to do it. But the bell alone is $400. If I still have to swap to a different starter or grind down the nose cone, I'd rather just find a factory one and be in it dirt cheap.
There was never a factory bell to fit that trans in that body style. Passenger side clutch fork could interfere with driveline. AA might be the only right way to go with the Chevy input shaft. I'm no expert but have done a little research.

Barrman

Banks has a fuel pump mount that is also an oil drain. You could weld a tube onto a fuel pump plate to do the same thing. That will keep the mechanical pump and not have you removing the oil pan.

Chevy had a NV4500 bell with a slave cylinder on the bottom passenger side. That will hit the front drive shaft as Kenny pointed out. Chevy also made a throwout bearing/slave cylinder version. You want that one.

Chevy had gas or diesel bell housings as well. You want a diesel throwout bearing/slave cylinder bell housing. the diesel bell housings have a bigger spot for the starter nose cone.

All of the CUCV trucks came with the small mouth automatic starter nose cone. Most, if not all of the reduction gear starters have the bigger mouth manual transmission nose cone. There is also a big mouth manual nose cone available for the direct drive starter motor. You will have to have the big mouth starter cone to clear the flywheel.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Since we are on this subject, another question to add to the mix. If I end up with the Dodge version with 23 spline output, can a Dodge 208 input be swapped into the GM 208? I also have a 241 case and have the same question for it.

Last edited:

Barrman

I don't know the answer to your question Kenny. But, it actually brings up another question. Will the Cummins NV4500 input shaft fit the pilot bearing on a 6.2/6.5 and will a clutch for the bigger Cummins NV4500 fit the Chevy flywheel?

My first post in this thread was all based on what I learned putting a 1994 Chevy NV4500 taken from behind a 6.5 C3500 that is now behind a 6.2 in my M715. With the divorced NP200 the M715 has, I didn't have to worry about transfer case mounts or spline counts so I am clueless.

Enough 4x4 Chevy NV4500's are out there that there really is no reason to paint yourself into a corner getting a Cummins version. Unless, you are going 6BT.

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bright thing about this Dodge version is that its a gasser. It has the same input shaft size and spline count as the chevy but is 7/8" Longer. The extra length allows me to use an adapter plate and my existing clutch as is. I can purchase that plate and the trans at a super good price. I can always switch to a 32 spline main shaft but changing transfer inputs is much easier and doesn't require a shop press. I am 98% certain that inputs can be swapped but would rather be 100%. This NV4500 is worth investing in. I wanted to replace the SM465 with an auto but maybe the 4500 will work out better.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks