• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce Battery Box Mods

Happyland1410

I have seen some other variations on spacers to put standard (non 6TL) batteries in a deuce. Here is what I came up with. Nothing fancy but it allowed me to use a couple of cheap group 27 blems in the plastic battery box.

The box is deep enough for the group 27 batteries but the raised plastic bumps in the bottom of the box (used to align the square 6TLs) keep the 27's from sitting flat. I cut two pieces of 1/2 thick MDF (medium density fiberboard) at 10 1/2" by 10 1/4". I then cut pieces of 2x2 and 2x4 blocks and screwed them to the MDF. This raised the base of the batteries just enough to clear the plastic bumps in the bottom of the box and keep the batteries from moving side to side. I also put a 1x4 at the back of the box to make the batteries fit tight front to back. I then used a scrap of 1 1/2 aluminum angle to make a hold down using the original center bolt.

Attachments

KsM715

Nice, I need to do something like that for ymy 5ton so I can put my replacement batts in there instead of just using them to jump the dead 6tl's that came in the truck.

number9

Very nice setup. Where'd ya get the battery terminal covers? I need a set of those.

What size are those Group27 battereis? ??L x ??H x ??W They don't look too much different than the Group31 I bought to put in mine (haven't installed them yet).

croftonaviation

very nice job. I am going to be buying batteries for the deuce this week and will probably do something like that. You don't have that patented yet, do you?:-D

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looking good Dan.

Those $35 batteries look like they belong there.

The Terminal covevs came with the truck. You should be able to purchase them from any MV supplier.

Happyland1410

Very nice setup. Where'd ya get the battery terminal covers? I need a set of those.

What size are those Group27 battereis? ??L x ??H x ??W They don't look too much different than the Group31 I bought to put in mine (haven't installed them yet).

Here is a good chart I found for battery sizes:

BCI Battery Group Size Chart

Group 27:
L = 12 1/16
W = 6 13/16
H = 8 7/8

Group 31:
L = 13
W = 6 13/16
H = 9 7/16

It looks like the 31 is a little longer so you probably wouldn't need the 1x4 spacer like I used at the back of the box. Since they are taller than the 27's the original center bolt may not be long enough for the hold down like I used.

1stDeuce

And an even better question... Where are you guys getting "blem" batteries????
I need to get some 31's for my M1008, or I'm going to put civi battery holders in it and go that route... Blem 31's would be less work, and less money, which is always nice!!
C

maddawg308

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Very cool! I'll have to make that mod myself - right now I have wood blocks just tossed in between the batteries to prevent them from moving.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
And an even better question... Where are you guys getting "blem" batteries????

Contact a local battery dealer. These batteries came from a Mom & Pop service station. He deals in pallet loads of blems. They are new and he gives a 90 day warranty. Not as good as Wally Worlds 3 yr warranty but half the price.

And the money stays local.

tm america

super nice job i need to do that for mine maybe you should make some extas up to sell to the rest of us that just got lazy and have our batteries bouncing around in there:roll:

jollyroger

I agree with you Steel and Canvas. We have been doing business with Strasburg Equipment, now Colorado Equipment for I don't know how many years. We try and shop local every chance we get. Sometimes you pay more, not always, but when you need the local guy he is there for you. I am suprised at how many people are upset when the local hardware goes out of business but they have been busy buying from Home Depot.:soapbox: I will now step down from the soap box.

uscgmatt

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be very careful of only using one bolt on the hold down. If it loosens the hold down can turn and short out the batts. Other than that nice job, as I need to do something like this.

Happyland1410

Be very careful of only using one bolt on the hold down. If it loosens the hold down can turn and short out the batts. Other than that nice job, as I need to do something like this.
That is a good point. I had thought about that and figured I may get a longer piece of angle then cut and bend the outer edges down to fit over the outsides of the batteries. This would prevent it from rotating. For now I think the vertical portion of the angle aluminum would wedge against the insulated part of the battery cables (which are lower) before it could rotate far enough to touch the terminals.

While typing this it also just hit me that if I put a second nut below the angle aluminum and tightly locked the upper and lower nuts this would help eliminate any rotation since the J bolt can't rotate.

I believe there is always room for improvement so keep the ideas coming.

Z71

Why not use the original battery hold down frame? It seems that it would fit as these group 27 batteries are the same width as the 6TLs. The way the batteries are placed in the box allows use of the original battery link.