• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce High beam issue

OK guys I've run into a snag hooking all my connections up. I have an issue where the low beams come on but as soon as I hit the dimmer switch on the floor for the high beams the light switch pops the breaker and no head lights.The high beam indicator is not coming on either.I have all the wires in the right plugs it seems I have a hot grounding somewhere I think but can not locate.I read through some of the threads and tried to find this issue in the TMs no luck.Please help if you can all input is always appreciated

OK guys I've run into a snag hooking all my connections up. I have an issue where the low beams come on but as soon as I hit the dimmer switch on the floor for the high beams the light switch pops the breaker and no head lights.The high beam indicator is not coming on either.I have all the wires in the right plugs it seems I have a hot grounding somewhere I think but can not locate.I read through some of the threads and tried to find this issue in the TMs no luck.Please help if you can all input is always appreciated
Unplug wire (17) and (18) from the dimmer switch.
Turn the light switch on.
Check the voltage at the switch on post (17) (you may have to push the switch if there is no voltage.) Should be 24v.
Do the same for post (18).
If switch has correct voltage then remove the ground wires (91) at the lamps. Check for continuity between chassis and wires (17) and (18). If there is continuity, you have a short in that wire. Note that wite (17) also goes to the high beam indicator. The short could be in that length of wire.
I hope this was helpful.

OK I checked for bare wires I don't have another switch to try unfortunately. I have a very good feeling its the dimmer switch.I should be able to run a hot wire to the high side to see if its still tripping the light switch yes? That would tell me if its a bad dimmer switch?

Wire (16) should be hot with the light switch turned on. If you unplug the wires from the dimmer switch you can use a jumper wire from (16) to (17) and then (16) to (18). If the switch is bad then the jumper should make the lights work.

That's what I was thinking I have low beams just not high.I pulled the dimmer switch out will run a jumper wire to see if the short is a wire or a bad switch.I ll let y'all know in a few mins.

OK fellas did use a jumper wire it is not the switch I have a faulty wire some where.I ll have to chase it down tomorrow and see where I have a bare wire grounding out. Its still tripping the switch.

Yes I saw the wire was labeled #17 I ll probably start with that I have the lights out of there housings I saw no bare wires,not even in the dimmer switch area.I ll unscrew the indicator from the dash tomorrow and inspect it and go from there.

OK its not the indicator housing my ADHD kicked in had to know I disconnected the high beam wires from head lights to still kicks the breaker.This one has me stumped.I inspected the wires again I hope I don't have to cut those wire casings to find this one.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lets see..... If you put the low beams ON, then the Hi beam indicator light should be "open" to the dimmer. If you take its bulb out, you should not have continuity to ground, in that wire to the dimmer switch. It would be a relief to know that, as I would rather track a short from the dimmer to the headlights. Another thought is; are your headlights plugged to the harness correctly, at each bulb? If not, you would blow something. Then check continuity from each of your headlight bulbs, back to dimmer. That would tell you which one is shorted.

Yes #17 to #17 #18 to 18# #91 to # 91 behind the light and behind the housing. I even disconnected #17 from the housing on both sides it still kicks it however if the jumper is not hooked up to #16 and #17 it does not pop.

rosco

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Sounds like you don't have a multimeter, and your depending on blowing breaker, to tell you/us whats happening! The insulation on all those wires in your truck, is there to "keep the smoke from leaking out", and your REAL close to having that happen. I don't know the numbers, off hand, and where they go. One doesn't need to know either, if you use a multimeter, as suggested. Its a safe way to test things. They can be had inexpensively, but the best one you can afford, is the way to go! In short, sounds like it the indicator bulb wire, that is shorted to ground.

I have one I,ll be using it tomorrow to try to trace this issue.I figured it was something simple but this is not the case now.I only have a cheap one. I took the indicator housing out of the dash.Its grounding out somewhere in the wiring Id assume. The fun part is finding out where.

I would recommend getting a meter with an audible tone for checking continuity. When you hook up your leads, if there is a short, the buzzer will sound. Just start wiggling hires until the buzzer stops and you should have found your short. Unless there's two shorts, then you will have to rely on you eyes to find at least one of them.

dmetalmiki

With that dimmer switch disconnected, Try a jump wire from the battery with a fuse in line, to the dip beam wire, OK, then try the main beam wire. If the main beam wire is shorting I would run a new good wire from the dimmer switch to the headlamps. There will be a junction at the front going across to join each headlight. As there is only ONE wire from your panel switch which is divided BY that dimmer switch, the fault lies in the headlamp wire FROM the dimmer switch. Good luck, try that, let us know your findings.

I didn't get a chance today to work on the wiring.I will tomorrow ya I m gonna run a new wire to the high beams and the indicator light from the dimmer switch.I hope that will take care of it I'm gonna use my voltmeter first if I can't locate it I'll just makeup new wires for the high side.