• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Deuce on a gooseneck trailer?

m109guy

I had the same problem bringing my M109 home. It was a couple inches too tall.

The M109 is too tall to be legally towed on many trailers.

The easiest thing to do is to let the air out of all the tires once on the trailer, and it will drop the truck by about 4-5", which should bring you down to legal height. Just bring an air hose with a glad-hand connection to refill the tires when you have to take it off the trailer (if you cannot get the trailer close enough to an air hose at the drop off point). It will take a while to refill all the tires with the truck air, but it will get the job done.

Just make sure to tie down the truck to the trailer AFTER you have dumped the air out of the tires. If you do it before hand, the chains will become loose, and you will have to tighten everything back up again afterwards.

guner51

trailer

With everybody talking trailers I have a question.
I'm looking to have one built ( 30ft. gooseneck with a 5ft. beaver tail, 2 14k dual wheel axles.)
So my question is what brand of trailer would be the best for my money?

KI4GSN

I'm looking to have one built ( 30ft. gooseneck with a 5ft. beaver tail, 2 14k dual wheel axles.)
PJ trailers are generally considered the best, but expensive.
A company out of NC called Kraftsman builds a good quality trailer, they made the one I have and I love it. It's supposedly owned by the brother of the guy who owns Kaufman trailers (i've heard good and bad things about Kaufman).
Hudson trailers are good, but very expensive.
Pro-Trak trailers are also VERY nice, but appropriatly expensive.

I guess it really depends on what you're looking for as far as options.

jpcj-7

PJ Trailers are very good, and if you find a good dealer they really don't cost much more than a Kaufman! And the PJ is a much better trailer. I don't know about 2-14k axles though, ours has 2-12k axles....

roscoe

I've been happy with the Sure-Trac I bought a few years back. Have not had any structural or electrical problems as with past trailers. It also gets used regularly for business hauling everthing from equipment, topsoil, mulch boulders, pavers, outcroping, other guys junk cars. Its just a 20' 14k tandem but they make up to 48' gooseneck.

Mike_Pop

I just ordered a Kaufman trailer. For the price, the quality, and the turnaround, it blew the doors off of anything I've seen in NJ. I'm looking forward to getting it in two weeks.

neb4x4

Never hauled a M35 behind my 98 Cummins 3/4 ton. But did haul a '65 Chevy school bus to the scrap yard. Bus weighed 13,000 LBS. Pulled great! Just plan ahead for stoping. The trailer was 38' gooseneck, dual tires, dual axles.

The only prolbem that I would have had is a weight station, with the bus 13,000LB bus, 7.600 LB tailer, and 6,600 LB truck..... Well that put me at approx 27,200 LBS... In Nebraska the legal limit is 26,000 before you need a CDL... But I didn't get caught. That would have been expensive.

Just my TWO CENTS.

Tandem dual gooseneck and 3/4 ton ford powerstroke its a breeze no problem pulling or stopping install a brake unit for a tri axle trailer and it is all good 20+5 mansfield trailer the only trailer built best by far dropped a 16500# fire truck on it and never hurt it

TBigLug

Quick trailering question. How tall is a deuce with 53's on it? I'm trying to figure out if the truck I want to build is ging to be too tall to be trailered to where I need to go. Stock M35 is ~9'4" on ~40" 9.00x20's. If you were to swap out for ~53" 16.00R20's that adds 6.5" in frame height and say 4" lift on the truck to clear tires. Puts it at ~10'3" from the ground. Deck height can't be any higher than ~3' to keep it legal. Am I right in my thinking? What's the deck height on a standard flatbed (semi trailer)? Drop deck (semi trailer)? Low Boy (semi trailer)? Gooseneck flatbed (pickup trailer)? I'd love to build my dream truck but not if I can't get it from point A to point B without an overheight permit.

m109guy

Could always load it and dump the air from the tires.
:ditto:

That's what I said a dozen posts ago.

If you are 2-3 inches too tall on the trailer, dump the air out of the tires and you will be legal. That's what was done to transport my M109.

KI4GSN

Sorry so long in getting back to you as explained in my PM. The trailer is 26 foot. He has hauled winch model deuce's also. In other words it can handle the extra 14 or 15 inches.
No problem. I was figuring on 30 foot if/when I get another trailer, but it's nice knowing I can go a little shorter is need be. Thanks.

bulldawg

The problem I would expect with my gooseneck lowboy is width. In between the pipe rails is a hair under 7 ft. Might get by with removing outer duels but not sure. 14,000 limit on axles plus rated load on 1 ton truck (good ratings on all tires) should not be a problem.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks