• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

DL7157 on 12v system with Voltage drain

jonstine

I have looked through the threads for the last 2-3 days, but cannot find what I need. I'm having a lot of electrical issues, and could use some help from you gurus out there.

I have a 1986 M1028 that was rather poorly converted to 12V by someone at some point prior to me owning it. Batteries are 800/1000 CCA/CA, wired in parallel, and about 6 months old. It was a US Army truck that served double duty as a Border Patrol vehicle for a while. There are snipped wires and empty bolt holes all over the thing where I assume the BP had lights or misc accessories that were stripped off unceremoniously when it was time to auction it off. The end result is a rather unclear picture of what the electronics and wiring should truly look like. It does not match any of the TMs exactly because it's been converted to 12V, and it's been bastardized.

Here's the background: I bought it about 2 months ago. Worked fine for about 2 weeks, and the alternator quit working. Replaced the belts and a new Oreilly 01-0136 (DL7157 equivalent) as they were the only one that had anything in stock. Worked fine for about a week, and the truck wouldn't start. Turns out the starter was also bad. Replaced that with a Powermaster 9052. At the same time, I upgraded all of my power cables to 2/0 HD lug versions. Replaced these cables - front to rear parallel battery, front ground to frame, front ground to engine, front positive to starter, front positive to terminal above the glow plug solenoid on the firewall (this was a 2 AWG cable). Worked fine for another week. All power came to screeching trickle while driving one night, was barely able to get home from 5 mi away, headlights were barely putting any light out. Checked all grounds, connections, etc for tightness. Everything appears to be good. Have been fiddling with it for the last 2 weeks trying to get resolved.

Here are the symptoms: When sitting idle with key out, the batteries will hold Voltage overnight. If I turn key to first position, batteries will hold voltage with a very minor drop, like 0.01-0.03 over a minute or two. Once I turn to the On position, the voltage drops like a rock, at least 0.5-1.0 over a 10 second period, and it will keep dropping to 7.0-8.0V. No burning or smoke, and I have hand checked all the wires I can reach, nothing is hot. If I hook up a starter battery, the voltage will push up to almost 13.0 V, but as soon as I turn to the On position, it again plummets even with the additional starter battery charging the parallel batteries.

Yesterday morning, I charged up the batteries and they cranked right over in the morning. I took my boys to school (about 12 mi roundtrip), ran to get a tank full of diesel (about another 3mi), and turned off the truck at the pump. Had been running at 55MPH for at least 15 mi or 20-25 minutes including the school dropoff. When I went to start it, it just clicked. Literally no juice. Thankfully a guy in another diesel cruised over when he saw my hood up. We connected cables, and had to let it sit for almost 4 minutes before it had enough juice to crank. When it did the guy saif his voltmeter dropped to 0V when my truck was starting, meaning it consumed all of his available power for a split second. Drove it home, and it's been in the garage for the last 24+ hrs. Barely takes a charge, even with the charger on it. Voltage still drops like a rock when in On position.

Still with me? The main question I have is, with a converted 12V system, do I still have to use an isolated ground alternator, or can the DL7157 be my singular alternator? If so, do I need to do anything different, like disconnect the ground wire from the alternator to the engine block? Also, there were a couple of small wires that were connected directly to the original starter that I did not realize were there until I bench pressed the starter down from the engine area. One of them broke the ring terminal off, and I was able to disconnect the other two. All three were connected to the power terminal on the starter. Not sure what they are for, but I can get pictures if it would help. I do know that one of them must be connected to 12V + in order for the starter to crank (no, it's not the actual starter positive feed, that is a big 2/0 that I ran straight to the front positive).

Before you guys all yell at me to check my grounds, I have, multiple times. I'm not saying I can rule them out with 100% confidence, but they are all new and in good shape, have good connectivity, etc. Still, if it's a specific ground, or specific area, by all means I am open to suggestions and troubleshooting steps.

My gut tells me that something is shorting out when the key goes to On. My lack of experience troubleshooting CUCV electrical systems tells me that I am in way over my head on this issue. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

jonstine

Here are some pictures, hope it helps...

Back side of the AutoZone DL7157 alternator.
FullSizeRender.jpgFullSizeRender_1.jpg

2/0 battery/ground/starter cables. the 3rd pic shows the wire that must be connected in order to get starter to crank.
FullSizeRender_2.jpgFullSizeRender_3.jpgFullSizeRender_4.jpg

2AWG cable to distribution block.
FullSizeRender7.jpgFullSizeRender8.jpgFullSizeRender9.jpg

Close up of distribution/glow plug relay.
FullSizeRender9.jpg

Pic of the additional wire (in blue zip tie, not touching anything, not permanent location) that was originally on the starter positive bolt. I cannot figure out if it should go back to positive terminal or not. Have tried it hooked up and unhooked (present state) while troubleshooting this issue.
FullSizeRender_6.jpg

Last edited:

jonstine

Also note that in the last pic, the engine block to firewall ground has been relocated to the bottom left bolt on the back of the fuel filter. That is because the original ground location had rusted out, and it was loose. I got really solid ground readings off that particular bolt, so I lashed it there instead of drilling a new hole in the firewall. PLEASE let me know if that's a potential problem (either for ground or fire hazard).

MarcusOReallyus

I know the batteries are pretty new, but it sounds like you possibly have an internal short. In any case, it's a really good practice to start by having them load tested. It's possible that some other problems have stressed them to the point they are now part of the problem. Really high CCA batteries achieve that by using very thin plates, very close together. They don't hold up under hard use because of that. It's too easy for them to short out between plates.

Beyond that, the simplest solution might be restoring it to stock config. Troubleshooting will be a lot easier.

jonstine

Thanks, I'll have them tested. I thought I had it fixed this morning. Got it running, let the batteries charge, let the alternator do it's thing. Alternator was putting out around 13V, low but better than nothing. Drove it about 50 mi, stopped, started right back up. Started it last night, fired right up. Started it this morning, fired right up. Drove 20 min, it's now completely dead. Like doesn't even turn over, just clicks. Something in the On position is definitely draining the batteries fast. Or it's a short/issue with the batteries themselves.

I need the electrical Gremlins in this thing to disappear for a week or two at least...