• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Does the LMC tailgate handle come with the swingout part key set goes in?

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Can't tell in the LMC diagram whether the handle comes with the swingout part the key set goes in. The part the keyset goes in is all messed up on mine, I don't see it sold separately anywhere.

Attachments

Barrman

Yes it has the base that bolts to the tail gate and the hinged part too. You will have to swap out the lock cylinder yourself. Just realize they are all the same terrible quality GM started with 30 years ago. I am on #4 in 6 years with my M1009.

bryfor

How tricky is it to install the lock cyl? I havean original nos gm one. Got the spring and pawl to install...looks like a snap ring has to come off to do anything

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yes it has the base that bolts to the tail gate and the hinged part too. You will have to swap out the lock cylinder yourself. Just realize they are all the same terrible quality GM started with 30 years ago. I am on #4 in 6 years with my M1009.
Thank you Barrman! Ordered. Funny I ordered everything but that part.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
How tricky is it to install the lock cyl? I havean original nos gm one. Got the spring and pawl to install...looks like a snap ring has to come off to do anything
I've seen the directions somewhere on here, I've done it before but **** if I can remember how.

1 Patriot-of-many

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I decided to play with mine while I wait for the new parts, easy peasey..... Hope this helps. Removing and installing locksets in the rear tailgate handle.

cucvrus

I do not want to start a ruckus over this but a lot of gates I see are in need of window guides and weather strips. The regulators are all dry and the sash ends/guides on the bottom of the windows are rusty and digging into the side weather strips. I polish the ends of the bottom sash and paint them with rust inhibitor. Then I use a little grease on the ends. I have been gluing a trim lock in the glass channels and with great success. I still have the OEM rear window crank on my Crown of Thorns M1009 at 125K miles. And I open it all the time while cutting wood and all the use.042.jpg013.jpg012.jpg011.jpg010.jpg009.jpg021.jpg019.jpg018.jpg032.jpg010.jpg014.jpg

Barrman

I agree, the end sash guides in the tail gate really make a huge difference. I replaced mine a few years ago. My wife taking the M1009 shopping and cranking the crank really tight after putting the window up I think is what kills my handles. Those of you who are married know there is only so much "direction" you can give before it is best to just keep a spare handle on the shelf.

cucvrus

Rick,
I know you like to improvise but can you explain how this works?[/QUOTE]

I sure can. That is how clan I get my parts before I lube them up and reassemble them. i take no short cuts to assure clean good as new parts to keep things moving. It also gets dirt off that don't belong there. I know the toothbrush is a bit extreme but it works. i have toothbrushes in every parts cleaner and on my work bench. Thanks for asking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks