• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

does your deuce lean???

FreightTrain

Banned
Maybe it has something to do with the location of the loose nut between the wheel and seat.Maybe drivers aim the truck so the left side gets the most "use" an that over 40 years has cause the springs to get more Fatigued on the drivers side?I know I do it since I know exactly where the wheels are on the drivers side but not where they are on the passenger side.If not that.....maybe something to do with the steering(the arm strong steering) pushing and pulling on the spring causing that side to droop more.

saddamsnightmare

March 22nd, 2008.

Gentlemen:

Take a look at almost any civillian vehicle that has been in service a while, more particularly the trucks. You will notice that almost every one of them will have a set on the left side springs....No.... it's not due to the crown of the road. Which side of YOUR vehicle is most likely to have weight routinely placed in it??? The driver's weight does cause the springs on that side to generally take a lower set due to the normal weight of the driver. I suspect that a larger cargo truck like the duece would have a lesser set to the springs on the left, merely because a 250Lb driver would make less of an impression on a deuce's springs then on a 1/2 ton pickups.
In any case, from an engineering point of view the lift blocks in any size seems like a very bad idea, inasmuch as you are raising the center of gravity of an already tall vehicle, and you are throwing off the original geometry of the steering and suspension systems. Admittedly these are not overly sophisticated trucks and definitely don't have the geometry and handling of a Ferrari, but they are sensitive to changes that affect their stability. IF YOU CAN'T CLIMB OVER IT IN A DEUCE, YOU BETTER BUY A UNIMOG. The deuce is a well designed (for it's day) slow, off road cargo truck, nothing more, nothing less. To ask it to be and do something else is quite foolish, and while I've seen a bobbed deuce or two, I can't say that I would trust the stability much due to the loss of the third axle, as the vehicle wasn't designed to be bobbed. But then neither was the HMMWV designed to have a tare weight the same as a deuce, and the up-armored HMWWV's do, with a resultant loss of structural integrity and mechanical failures. This is why the gun trucks in Vietnam went quickly from deuces to 5 tons, to be able to better handle the armor and the armaments.
Just a thought, for what it may be worth.

I remain, Sirs,
Most Sincerely,

Kyle F. McGrogan

1971 Kaiser Jeep M35A2 Wo/W, 686A tan, "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
""??"" Johnson MFG Co. M105A2 Trailer, Cargo, MERDC or NATO 4 color woodland scheme
1963 Mercedes Benx Cargo Unimog, S404.114, Swiss Army (NATO) green.

NB; Freight Train or Ferro will tell you also, that when Diesel Locomotives or freight cars are overhauled, frequently the springs need to be replaced to take up the normal set that gravity, time and freight or useage exacts on the springs, which then causes the coupler height center line to drop below the 32-1/2 or 33-1/2" Federal standards. Springs are steel, they are malliable in some degree, and they do fatique out after time and use.
rofl

oldshep

My truck used to lean to the right but we fixed it by having a truck shop re-arch the right side the match the left. its level now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks