• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Doghead Starter Mod Question

custm86

I'm switching my 86 M1009 over to 12v with three batteries, two specifically for the starting system. Will the relay mod from Doghead still be ok with a 12v system?

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Why would you convert to 12v, but add a 3rd battery?

If you understand electricity enough to properly engineer/design your 12V, 3 battery conversion, then surely you can read the schematics and see what the relay does and make your own decision( or if you even need it).

CycleJay

Doghead,

Just curious..
How do you wire up 2-3 12v batteries and still get 12v out of all of them?
Do you have to wire them in series or parallel? I do not remember.

Thank you, Good night,

CJ

CycleJay

Hello Sparky,

Thank you for the answer.

So let me see if I get this right...
Series = More voltage = 12V
Parallel = More current = 24V

Do I have that right or wrong?

Thank you,

CJ

212sparky

no

-Series : connect the positive from one battery to the Negative of the next will give you 24 volts same current (amps)

-Parallel : positive of one battery to positive of the next battery will keep you at 12 volts but double the current (Amps)

CycleJay

Hi guys,

Thank you for the information.
I wanted to relearn how and why my M1009 got 24V out of two batteries..

I knew the concept, just was not sure which was which.

Good night,

CJ

custm86

There isn't much engineering involved in a 12v conversion. One alternator will run two batteries and the other alternator will run the third battery. run a few wires, change the starter to 12v. I by no means claim to be an electrical genius. Especially with relays. I understand the relay is triggered by 12v, and passes 24v when triggered. will it still pass 12v? (I'm assuming so) Or can it be just removed and bypassed? I have the Doghead mod done already (Thank You Doghead, Great Mod!) But I'm having some serious issues with the 24v starters I've recieved.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can eliminate it or keep it. Either way will work, after a 12v conversion.

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you must do a 12v conversion, PLEASE consider the Rosscommon Equipment Conversion.

It is well documented and allows future owners to easily restore the truck to stock in the future.

It also allows someone (us) to help troubleshoot any issues you might have in the future.

Attachments

custm86

So i pretty much finished the conversion the Rosscommon way. My question is how does the third battery get its alternator charging? Do all three batteries still charge by both alternators at the same time?

custm86

So after working 16 hours a day average for two weeks, I finally finished the Rosscommon conversion. It works great so far. Al three batteries charge, and added two volt meters to the interior. one for the two starting system batteries and one for the accessory battery. All seems ok so far but still wary about driving more than ten miles from home after all the issues i've had before!!!:?

Thanks for the help and advice everyone!!:beer:

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks