• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Drove my 1009 to Conn from DC

ssdvc

Decent ride, no hiccups and got very good mileage, which actually surprised me. Except for a lack of AC, it wasn't a bad ride. Some better seats and a stereo and I would be a very happy camper!!:p

I drove 65-70 the whole way and averaged 20.2 mpg. Truck is all stock, with no major maintenance done......Yet. I bet I could have gotten about 22 mpg or better if it wasn't for traffic and the hills in Conn.

The bummer is that I went to start it the next day and the ignition lock cylinder won't rotate and I can't start the truck. I think I need to replace the lock cylinder (at least that's what I hope it is).aua

powerhouseduece

Did you park it with the front wheels turned? You may have to try turning the steering wheel left or right and try to get the steering lock to disengage. Good hearing it was a smooth trip!

ssdvc

Yeah, I thought it might be the steering wheel lock, but it wasn't. It took about 40 minutes, but I finally got the ignition lock and key to turn and fire the truck up. However, when I turned it off and tried to rotate the key again I ran into the same thing. It's bumming me out. I hope the ignition lock is the only thing wrong.

spartan_185

I had the same issue with my first M1009. I had several keys I tried from other CUCV's in my fleet and they diagnosis was all the same. I had to replace the ignition cylinder.

ssdvc

Thanks for the tip!! I will try the spare key I have, as well as a new one when I get back into the states on the 19th. Anyone in the NLON, CT area that has a key I could try??

ssdvc

I am in Groton. Can I try a few of them this weekend? I have got to move my truck from the lot it is in on base. If the keys don't work, I will need to pull the wheel and hope the lock I got from the dealer will work !

dstang97

Yeah. I have a whole steering column you can use in a pinch. If the keys don't work. There should be a bunch of keys in base no? If you want pm me your number and I'll text you back.

ssdvc

It should have been about 22.5 or better, but I picked up the pace a bit in Conn and when I started keeping pace at 70+ mph and hitting those hills, my mileage suffered.

I use 4-8 ounces of Diesel Kleen per fill up and think that once I do some maintenance on the drive train and get a new set of tires (33's) I should see better avg mpg's.

I have also started driving the truck more and noticed the more I take it out, the better she has started to run.