• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

ECO Hubs Who needs 3:07 gears?

MatthewWBailey

Father, Husband and Barn Hermit
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There were initially some weirdos on Facebook groups that were asking about them. Probably to try to home-brew their own direct drive hubs or the magical thinking of selectable hubs but that racket has died off as even the dullards have realized it's nigh impossible and/or stupid depending on what crackpot idea they had in their pea brain.
lol ..... Are they the "weld-them-up" group? ... A Cheap and dirty version of Mike's solution. It's not a terrible business model considering the intelligence level of some folks like the guy who installed the ECO hubs backwards, then did a video explaining to everyone the greatness of his truck. Pretty embarrassing. I'm sure he'd be a potential customer for welded planetaries for the affordable low price of $1099. You'll get a discount of 20% with the coupon code "WELDED".
(This is a complete Satire FYI, for anyone not following along (; )

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yup. While welding them is *possible* if you know a whole bunch about welding castings.... But also if you are the guy that has the gear to pre-heat, weld, properly cool, and then very likely re-machine them due to the warpage you are also the guy that knows it's stupid when Mike's kit is a click of the mouse and your time is WAY more valuable than the asking price.

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
Is there a market for the outer hubs, I installed eco hubs and now the gears are just taking up space in my shop for me to trip on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yes there is a market for the outer hubs, put them in the for sale section. I sold a set recently.
if you pm me I will tell you what I got for them.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I finished the eco hubs install. Everyone talks about doing a transmission relearn. After an hour searching the closest thing I can find on that is in an Allison manual that briefly says to just drive it through the gears.
Please, Can anyone give a better more complete description of the relearn procedure?

2003 M1078
Also came across in the Allison manual how to do a fluid level check using the push button selector. Is ours capable of doing this?

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
I finished the eco hubs install. Everyone talks about doing a transmission relearn. After an hour searching the closest thing I can find on that is in an Allison manual that briefly says to just drive it through the gears.
Please, Can anyone give a better more complete description of the relearn procedure?

2003 M1078
Also came across in the Allison manual how to do a fluid level check using the push button selector. Is ours capable of doing this?
As I understand it "Drive it Like you Stole it" and it will learn.

Skyhawk13205

2003 M1078
No the module in the valve body for level check is not there. I just ran it hard up hills, the shifts adapted pretty quickly, the only one it seems to have trouble with is a kickdown to a lower gear when climbing a hill.

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor

2003 M1078
The transmission seems to relearn very fast, just take it out for a drive . I used to go thru the relearn process but I don’t think it’s necessary. Mike

GeneralDisorder

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep. Just drive. There really isn't any learning anyway. Transmission doesn't care what your road speed is. It's shifting based on engine load, RPM, and it's own output speed. You just go faster at any given output speed. As far as the transmission is concerned nothing has changed other than load - truck seems to weigh more and is going slower. Would you bother doing a relearn if one day you hooked up a trailer that weighed 20k lbs and decided to drive around at 30 mph? No of course not - you wouldn't think anything of it.

Keith Knight

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I don’t know if this is the best thread to post this on, thought it might not be seen.

Eco Hub arning!

You cannot remove or install your brake drums after you finish the eco hub installation. To do so you must modify the aluminum D shaped plugs by grinding the high points off. My 5” right angle grinder couldn’t reach without hitting the studs and a regular file would have taken forever. I found an electric band file worked best. You can purchase cheap one at harbor freight. IMG_3771.jpegIMG_3740.jpeg
These high spots are what’s causing the problem.

IMG_3739.jpeg
I ground the right side and partially the left side in this picture.

I found this problem because I was also replacing my front axle seals and had the front brake drums off and when I went to put them on they wouldn’t fit.

It was much easier grinding the plugs with the drum off. The rear had the drums still on and there is a lot less room for error trying not to grind the drum or the studs.

I would hate to see someone get into a situation where they needed to remove the drum but didn’t have the ability to grind the plugs.

aw113sgte

I don’t know if this is the best thread to post this on, thought it might not be seen.

Eco Hub arning!

You cannot remove or install your brake drums after you finish the eco hub installation. To do so you must modify the aluminum D shaped plugs by grinding the high points off. My 5” right angle grinder couldn’t reach without hitting the studs and a regular file would have taken forever. I found an electric band file worked best. You can purchase cheap one at harbor freight. View attachment 931374View attachment 931372

View attachment 931373

I found this problem because I was also replacing my front axle seals and had the front brake drums off and when I went to put them on they wouldn’t fit.

It was much easier grinding the plugs with the drum off. The rear had the drums still on and there is a lot less room for error trying not to grind the drum or the studs.

I would hate to see someone get into a situation where they needed to remove the drum but didn’t have the ability to grind the plugs.
I am able to remove mine without issue. Wonder if the D shaped pieces changed dimension at some point?

Xengineguy

Supporting Vendor
The half plugs are the same throughout all that I have shipped. I didn’t know the tolerance was that clos with the drum.
I guess I should add to the instructions to push the half plugs in as close to flush as you can. Sorry for the Problem.

Skyhawk13205

Eco Hub arning!

You cannot remove or install your brake drums after you finish the eco hub installation. To do so you must modify the aluminum D shaped plugs by grinding the high points off. My 5” right angle grinder couldn’t reach without hitting the studs and a regular file would have taken forever. I found an electric band file worked best. You can purchase cheap one at harbor freight. View attachment 931374View attachment 931372

View attachment 931373

I was able to remove mine as well, when installed the half moon plugs there was some wiggle on them, I wonder if the drum dimensions are not very consistent. If I have trouble in the future I will use you tip and keep my finger file handy.

I was concerned with those half moon plugs getting damaged from dragging a wheel rim across them. I was wanting to get a brass alignment tool to thread onto a stud to help center the wheel when installing and removing.

hike

—realizing each day
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking for a photo with the drums off, before I pulled the wheel hub plates though no luck. I am certain when we did the rear axle seals we pulled wheels/tires, drums, then hubs. We didn't pull the EcoHub covers and plates before pulling the drums.

Here is a detail of a rear hub off before reinstalling. The pattern the drum made on the hub seems pretty clear. I also recall having been concerned about catching the D's and turning the hub so they were pointing at 10, 2, 4 (Dr. Pepper) before installing the drums.

Its a tight fit, though our rear drums went over off and back on—

IMG_4323.jpeg

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks