• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Engine wiring repairs

blisters13

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi All:

Need to know the best way to deal with old, loose connections and cracked rubber boots on the engine wiring harness short of replacing the whole thing with NOS.

If NOS harness complete is the only option, then please post a source.

I'm an industrial electrician, so I know how to make good connections.

Thanks very much

-Ken J

runk

For a Deuce, I buy my electrical parts from Erik's
Military Truck Parts M35A2 M35A3 M37 M813 M151 M923 M54
He has reasonable prices for reasonable quantities of correct wire and connectors. Also has the complete correct harnesses, usually (a lot of the cheap e-pay ones are for the oldest gas engined trucks, according to discussion here). It is hard to find the correct mil-spec (generally Prestolite) wire in less then 1000' rolls, and it is an unusual insulation type and diameter, so other wire doesn't fit the connector boots properly.
I have fixed up the front harness, just needed some connectors and splices (used self-vulcanizing tape at all the splices). I have a rear harness to install, as when I added up all the connectors that needed replacement (including the trailer plug - ouch $$$), it was cheaper to buy a complete rear harness.
I solder the connectors, but they can be crimped if you have the right tool and dies (fairly expensive). Do a search here and you should find the tool number.

I don't think the maintenance guys for Arkansas Guard unit that had my truck last liked electrical repairs ! All the scary "repairs" I've found have all related to the electrical system (masking tape around the twisted together break in the alternator wire !! among others...).

Barrman

Yep, just buy a few dozen Packard fittings and the crimping tool. A roll of the correct wire and some blank wire number wraps will make any electrical problem on the truck a breeze for years to come. These things are super simple wiring. A few minutes with a diagram from the -20 manual and you will realize this can be a low budget event.

steelandcanvas

As said in the above posts, Erik has all the items you need to do correct electrical repairs on your truck. If you qre joining two wires and don't want to use a male and female Mil-Spec connector, I use a good quality butt-splice and heat-shrink tubing to cover the splice. It's a little cheaper this way and still a trouble free repair.

nf6x

Feral Engineer
I often use adhesive-lined heat shrink tubing to protect splices such as repairs on damaged MV wiring. It has a layer of hot melt glue on the inside which helps seal the joint. I usually get my heat shrink tubing from McMaster-Carr. They have a wide selection of different types. They also carry a lot of other hardware that is useful for MV repairs. I agree with the recommendation to get your Packard connector parts and MV wire from Erik's.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks