• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Evil ip

Cucvnut

maybe the injector pumps are all working together to make everones life hard :(
all i see are threads about how many people have ip problems

kennyw

I think it was the military drivers that were hard on the engines more than anything... I have a spare motor with 27K miles and a rebuild sticker on the IP. How do you kill the IP in 27K miles?

msoumas

Just replaced mine last week, still tinkering and fine tuning. Man, do NOT bolt that manifold on before you test start it, mine has sprung a leak and I'm finding it awful hard to work up the motivation to take the manifold back off and fix it.

acmunro

The original 1985 and older IP had a retainer that broke down with some of the fuels used by the military. Thats the only IP problems I have had.

motormayhem

My ip died after driving 200 mi from my home on a trip :cry:. I read they are only built to last 100,000mi and the 25 year old rubber in them tends to begin to break down.

msoumas

When I took mine out, I wasn't aware of the three bolts holding the little "wheel" in the front. I took off the injector lines and the three mounting bolts, and gave it a gentle tug. The shaft stayed on and the rest of the pump pulled off, I could have taken the pump without the shaft it the injector lines weren't in the way!

mutt1966

Ive thought it strange that there are so many IP problems, I own a '86 GMC Jimmy with a 6.2 C in it has 380,000 mi. still running great and never a IP problem trans problem now that was an other story, I bought it with 25,000 on it. Scott out

acmunro

I know what you mean Scott. I have an 1982 K10 with 270,000 miles on it. I have owned it since 1997 and again no IP problems. I have a 1985 M1010 with 30,000 miles and it needs its IP. It has the disintergrating retainer problem- plugging up the return check valve.

12vctd

The stadyne injection pumps are very good pumps for thier time. I have personally attested to having customers with well over 300k on them in both ford and GM trucks. What I think kills alot of the military trucks is very little use and bad fuel.

acmunro

Ian, On my M1010 it didn't cause any external leaks. Just timing issues- debris in the check valve. I am going to change the pump on mine soon. I guess alcohol in fuels - that cause retainers to break down could start to work on external seals. You must have a 1985 or older truck.

BIGdaddycatlin

styandine rotoray pumps like the ones used on 6.2,6.5,6.9,7.3 have a rubber retainer ring in between the govoner weight basket and retianer . over time they break down poor fuel and sitting just makes the process quicker the other issue with theses pumps is that the houseing is made of alumminum and the advance piston in the pump is steel. eventualy the it wears out the houseing and cause low power hard start and other issues

lavarok

Ian, On my M1010 it didn't cause any external leaks. Just timing issues- debris in the check valve. I am going to change the pump on mine soon. I guess alcohol in fuels - that cause retainers to break down could start to work on external seals. You must have a 1985 or older truck.
My m1010 is a 1985 with the 4267 pump. What troubles me is if its leaking from that mounting bolt, couldn't it also be leaking diesel into my oil?

choll

I bougt my blazer in 2000 had 38000 miles on it. My ip finally died last year with 96000 miles on the truck. All hard miles and who knows how many hours just at idle I use it mainly off road. So my ip prbably had another 25000 miles on it at idle time.. I think I got my moneys worth from it. HAd it replaced at a heavy duty truck place cost me around $900 installed including a rebuilt ip from Boyce Equip. The guy that did the work was a former Army mechanic and LOVED working on it. Ran perfect no adjustments needed.

Chief_919

Keep in mind that for most of their lives these pumps had JP8 in them and not diesel. JP8 has much lower lubricity than DF2, and as a result in IP's that are fuel lubricated like the Stanadyne Roosa Master system you will see faster wear.

That will be one reason you see these pumps from a military source failing more often than one that have been in civilian service all along and used regular diesel.

The military responed in part by having Stanadyne make the IP's for the HMMWV from harder componets that were used in the arctic kits to compensate for the low lubricty fuel, but I don't think they ever did for the CUCV's since by the time the problem was identified and the solution developed the CUCV's were supposed to be on the way out.