• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Exaust Brake

Capt.Marion

cranetruck installed an exhaust brake from (if I'm not mistaken) an Isuzu box truck on his deuce, and (again, If I recall correctly) found it very useful with mountain driving.

Hopefully someone can chime in with more than just a second-hand testimonial.

bigelk50

Yes you can install one, you want to make sure that you have a way to regulate or watch your back pressure psi. The model I have has like a safety valve on it. If it creates too much psi, it will open a small valve and let air by the butter fly. I just got the info off of their website and am going to put it on my M818. I do not have any pics of it yet, I can get some. I found it laying in my neighbors yard.

11 ECHO I would love to have jakes on my truck. I could get use to the bump in the hood.

AmLogger

the one i found was a pacbrake and it had a spring loaded valve so the higher your rpm the more exhaust it allows to slip through. how does yours sound? its got to sound good coming down a steep hill.

AmLogger

yeah i cant wait to hook it up! Did you have any troubles with space? and how close is it to the turbo? ( yes i know you have a different engine i am just getting ideas)

bigelk50

The ends I ordered right from the web site. It is currently off of my truck until I decide what to do about a muffler and turbo. Right now my truck is straight piped and I am still collecting my turbo parts. I was thinking of mounting it like Cranetruck did. I posted his links above.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
:-D
Brings up memories from my Rocky mountain driving, it's definitely a relief to have a backup braking system and not having to rely 100% on the service brakes on those long downhill runs...btw, the sound from the exhaust brake is an intensive hiss, nothing like the Jake brake.
The exhaust brake can also be used to help the engine come up to op temp faster by closing it off after starting the engine. Don't do it because of the noise, but anyhow, it's there.

There are other types of driveline brakes, one is the hydraulic, which comes built-in in the Allison transmission on my 8x8. It was not used (=hooked up) by the military, but is supposed to be on par with the Jake in effectiveness, just quiet. Hooking it up is on my to-do list.
Note, observe caution when using any type of driveline (=engine) braking on slippery pavement, you are braking via the differential(s) and there is a chance of losing control if one wheel loses traction, since all braking power will be lost on the side where there is traction..I think I got it right, think about it.

spicergear

A LOT of municipalities have their signs wrong when they state, No Exhaust Brakes, or No Brake Retarders...only on occasion will you see a correct sign stating, No "Jake" Brakes. Jake is not an exhaust brake, its an engine brake that makes the exhaust sound we all love on a down hill through what it does to the cylinder load that would have been made into pulling power now bursting out the exhuast pipes. Hoping to round one up for my Silver 92 project too! :wink:

Jake0147

You are quite right, 99 percent of those signs are about noise, and the intention was to limit the use of loud engine brakes.
A lot of towns got sued when they put up "no jake brake" signs... The people who make Jacobs engine brakes didn't really like having their entire product line (including silent retarders) singled out from other engine brake manufacturers to be outlawed, especially when no other manufacturer's "loud" retarders were mentioned.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
"jake brake" sort of a generic expression for any loud retarder, kind of calling any copy machine a "xerox".
Living out in the boonies where the occasional trucker may use his "jake brake" at will, they are VERY noisy in an otherwise rather peaceful environment..especially at night.

Verkstad

Exhaust brakes are great on small trucks, Very simple to install. You will find it very worthwhile. A full on compression brake (JakeBrake) is not real practical on something as small as a deuce.

Generic name or not, Jacobs Company will get real cheesed off and take legal action when they find a municipal sign using their trademarked name "Jake Brake"
If one does not defend their trademarks, they can be lost into the public domain.
For example, "Zipper" and "Aspirin" were once trademarked names, Now lost. That's a headache Jacobs doesn't want to have.

rgds,
Jakob, Not "Jake"...

MilitaryRestoration

There is no other jake like the one one my old log truck... 1987 Peterbilt with 3406b straight pipe'd 10" stacks... In the logging world... I used them so much I got tired of them lol and I thought that would never be possible... buddy uses jakes and retarder, going down a 10% grade never uses his brakes with the combination... truly amazing and AWESOME! After finding jakes for the 250 and reading this thread makes me really consider :)... Reub i will let you know as soon as I get a price from the guy...
btw I like to keep doors open 0 : - )

bigelk50

There is no other jake like the one one my old log truck... 1987 Peterbilt with 3406b straight pipe'd 10" stacks... In the logging world... I used them so much I got tired of them lol and I thought that would never be possible... buddy uses jakes and retarder, going down a 10% grade never uses his brakes with the combination... truly amazing and AWESOME! After finding jakes for the 250 and reading this thread makes me really consider :)... Reub i will let you know as soon as I get a price from the guy...
btw I like to keep doors open 0 : - )
Thanks Todd, looking forward to it! On the farm we have two trucks with 3 stage Jakes on them. 1970 Pete and an '85 KW C 500. I know what you mean by getting tired of hearing them! It is amazing what you can do with the 3 stage and a retarder!