• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Faded CARC from factory?

linx310

I noticed my M1009 has a lighter colored CARC camo job. At first I thought it was really faded but these pics from the factory show a M1009 with the exact same faded look as mine has.

Where these an early run before they changed some thing?

Attachments

wsucougarx

Understanding that the pic was taken at the factory, one can imagine the bright lighting they have on the factory floor. Looking at the pics you can see the intense lights that can add the appearance of a light color on anything in it's light path. I'm thinking it's the lighting coupled with the technology of camera taking the picture for the faded look of the paint. From my understanding, CARC paint is held to the highest degree of color matching. Reason being that difference manuf will have exactly the same color match from paint to paint.

zout

Pic 3 after the truck is out of the lighting of the factory "surgical light system" appears to be the correct shade close to what yours is if you put it in the identical lighting.

What someone used for the thinner - how they sprayed it - how close they sprayed - letting it air dry in a booth all makes a huge difference in the end product.

How the pic was taken for yours even makes a difference side by side with another in a shaded area.

Biggest thing is the proper Mil coating thickness and how it was applied with its undercoating (primers with activators) that makes it "work".
That is if your talking true CARC. Even the new waterborne is different.

But eh - I do not know very much and there are others here that can nail it down better for you.

Nonotagain

I noticed my M1009 has a lighter colored CARC camo job. At first I thought it was really faded but these pics from the factory show a M1009 with the exact same faded look as mine has.

Where these an early run before they changed some thing?
There is a very good chance that your M1009 did not get CARC applied at the factory since CARC did not get it's first full scale application until 1988 or 1989.

The choice of solvents is a non-starter as the mil-spec only gave you an allowance to use only one solvent, Mil-T-81772 type 1.

Each lot of CARC is/was a little different in color and texture depending on the milling of the pigments. For a car or truck plant, they would have been using CARC from 55 gallon drums and the catalyst would have been injected at the gun head.

Back in the late 1980's there were only two CARC specifications, Mil-C-46168, the two part product and Mil-C-53039 the single component material.

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The "Factory" paint job looks like someone did it with rattle cans from Ace hardware..
Agreed. The green on the "old pattern" factory camo CUCVs seems to be tough as nails, but the brown and black paint was applied just thick enough to colour. On my ugly 1009, there are large patches where the black/brown has rubbed or faded off and left the green showing through.

As regards judging colour from pictures, particulalry on a computer, it can be very difficult. As mentioned above, lighting and the camera make a big difference. So does the computer- pictures I have look subtly but distinctly different on my home and office computers.

Cheers

67_C-30

There is a very good chance that your M1009 did not get CARC applied at the factory since CARC did not get it's first full scale application until 1988 or 1989.

The choice of solvents is a non-starter as the mil-spec only gave you an allowance to use only one solvent, Mil-T-81772 type 1.

Each lot of CARC is/was a little different in color and texture depending on the milling of the pigments. For a car or truck plant, they would have been using CARC from 55 gallon drums and the catalyst would have been injected at the gun head.

Back in the late 1980's there were only two CARC specifications, Mil-C-46168, the two part product and Mil-C-53039 the single component material.

I did not know that. What kind of paint was used originally, and was it textured like CARC?? My M1009 has been repainted inside and out with CARC, so I cannot see any factory paint. I did buy some NOS mirror heads, and they do not look like the CARC on my truck. It looks more like just flat paint. I guess maybe that's how the truck would have looked from the factory.

Interestingly, I bought some Rapco spray cans and painted my mirror bases, and it matches almost perfectly in color and texture.

Nonotagain

I did not know that. What kind of paint was used originally, and was it textured like CARC?? My M1009 has been repainted inside and out with CARC, so I cannot see any factory paint. I did buy some NOS mirror heads, and they do not look like the CARC on my truck. It looks more like just flat paint. I guess maybe that's how the truck would have looked from the factory.

Interestingly, I bought some Rapco spray cans and painted my mirror bases, and it matches almost perfectly in color and texture.
Factory paint was alkyd enamel. It was probably TT-E-529.

Your last question related to texture. Some of our painters painted the enamel just as rough as some of the CARC paint that everyone is used to seeing.

If you take some MEK solvent on a Q-tip and rub an area that is not noticeable, if the paint comes off, it's enamel. If the primer under is yellow, it's zinc chromate, if red, it's a lead based epoxy.

I haven't bothered to transfer my old specs over to this computer, but one day I might get motivated enough to rescan a few thousand pages to a newer version of Acrobat so that they are searchable, unlike the old version where the entire document is an image.

Last edited:

67_C-30

Factory paint was alkyd enamel. It was probably TT-E-529.

Your last question related to texture. Some of our painters painted the enamel just as rough as some of the CARC paint that everyone is used to seeing.

If you take some MEK solvent on a Q-tip and rub an area that is not noticeable, if the paint comes off, it's enamel. If the primer under is yellow, it's zinc chromate, if red, it's a lead based epoxy.

I haven't bothered to transfer my old specs over to this computer, but one day I might get motivated enough to rescan a few thousand pages to a newer version of Acrobat so that they are searchable, unlike the old version where the entire document is an image.
Oh OK. I experimented some, and sprayed the Rapco paint a little dry, and I achieved some texture to it. It actually looks close to the CARC. I think I could do it even more successfully with my paint gun instead of the rattle can.