• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Feasibility of putting 900 series axles under a deuce

ranchhopper

Im going to do a bobbed deuce this spring and like usual I cant do things the conventional way Im considering putting some axles from a 923 under the truck. I want the safety of dual circuit air brakes and the availability of five ton rim tire combinations are a consideration as well. I think the dual tanks on the deuce should be good to run an emergency and service brake system as well as an additional thirty gallon tank plumbed into the service brake system for the trainhorn air reservoir couldn't hurt either. I am going to need a treadle valve brake pedal set up to bolt up to the firewall from the 900 series I will probably use a push pull type of air valve for the parking brake too. I know there will be issues with the larger driveshafts from the five ton having to be remade to fit the deuce transfer case and the springs on the deuce are narrower than the five ton maybe a front springs from a five ton used on the front and back of the bobber will help eliminate that problem but it will ride like a lumber wagon then but that's tolerable as I sit in a mack truck with 44000 pound rears and 20000 pound front springs all day which puts me in the iron butt award class. I am open to suggestions and input from others that may see a problem that I have overlooked with the proposed construction. Im going to use the deuce cab and frame but will use an aluminum 1102 trailer bed as I did on the last one I did last year Im planning on using a fuel tank and inline fuel pump as well.

Jeepsinker

You could just swap in a dual circuit master cylinder, do some brake line plumbing and be done. As far as rim and tire availability just get some adapters man. Sounds like you are setting yourself up to do a bunch of un-needed work.

ranchhopper

Thanks Chuck but I want to stay with 395s the way they built the truck with the extra frame rails under the deuce frame will put it way to high in the end I may have to stay with the standard way of just using the set of donor front springs from another deuce.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I just think it would be much easier (and probably cheaper) to buy a 5-ton if you want 5-ton axles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks