• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First attempt at replacing metal

Katahdin

Thanks guys. The paint is Gillespie 24087 reduced with Xylene and mixed with Valspar Restoration Series Tractor & Implement Hardener from Tractor Supply.

natem

Looks great! Just a tip or two, cut your patch first then use that to size your cutout on panel to be patched. Also leave a gap aprox. the dia. of your weld wire. The best for last, use copper as a backer the weld will not stick and is a heat sink.

Nate

DieselBob

Very nice job Katahdin. I have been torn weather to repaint mine in the 3 color camo or the single color 24087. The more I see of the 24087 the more I like it.

BIG_RED

I too have a shed full of scrap metal, and a welder, and some "practicing" to do on the M1009 this year. Thanks for the thread! Also, I really like the idea of a flanging tool..... Ohh the things i could do with that :grd:

Katahdin

DieselBob, I had a real hard time wrangling over the 24087 decision as well. I wanted something historically accurate for a 66' Army truck but wasn't sure about the color for myself. I had my wife pick up the paint cans at ArmyJeepParts when she passed through Philly last year, but I sat on them a good six months as I hemmed and hawwed over the paint choice. Now that I'm implementing it I really like the results, I think its a classy color for a M35/M109.

waayfast

Looked to me the fender skin was 18 gauge, but the structure material was 16 gauge.

I used 18 gauge scrap metal from an old desk my Mom had me haul out of her basement last year. I figured it would come in handy when I started to toy with welding. I couldn't find 18 gauge at Tractor Supply, Lowes, or Home Depot, so having the scrap metal on hand worked out great. It sometimes pays to be a pack rat.

I have used old appliance skins for sheet metal replacement for years.They are really easy to come by and fairly thick metal.Old dryers are a better choice simply because they are not as heavy as the washer for loading unloading and movin' around:cool:.

Jim

jasonjc

For what you spend at a big box store for steel you are way better off to go to a steel/metal supplier.

Nice work on the truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks