• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

First MV - Just Drove Home From Cleveland to Baltimore

WatchDawg

First, Thanks everyone for helping me make an informed decision, through all the forms and TM's. Having properly done my research I knew what I was looking at, I knew what I was getting myself into, I knew what model I wanted. Just had to save up for awhile, and make the plunge. I have not had a car in 3 years, and I couldn't be happier in my decision.

My new Obession

1986 M1009 CUCV
Original owner got it in OK, but I think it's from the 309th maintance squad, at Hill AFB, there was a tag under hood, that reads 309 afp so I am making an educated guess.
Captains chairs in the front
Front Winch

The adventure getting it
So after working 8 hrs on my 3rd shift job, I headed to Cleveland, kicked the tires, did a test Drive shifted very well, It has it's gremlins, but I expected that. It had one owner after the military, and he's had it since 2001. He used it mainly for hunting, offloading. Everything worked and drove as I expected, He did oil change, trans, put in 2 new alt. a few weeks ago so was ready for the road. He asked 4500 I talked him down to 3900. Overall very happy and feel like I got a deal. Went to Autozone, got a small tool kit (just in case), and a quick cell phone mount (couldn't see speed-o, so used my cell to get how fast I was going)

So on the journey home, I stopped at about 70 miles of highway driving, to make sure all the fluids were good, no leaking, nothing really I missed. Everything was was good and solid. After one stop, I noticed the GEN 1 light kept coming on and going off, so I read up on that issue and tightned all the bolts around the junction boxes, (read somewhere that was a possible issue that maybe the vibration from long road driving may cause that, esp. after sitting idle for awhile.). Light went away for awhile.

Decided it was time to catch some ZZZzzzz's after about 15 hrs total of driving (including from Baltimore from Ohio to pick up). I found a bunch of truckers parked on side of road and joined them.

I left car idle so I can have some heat, and noticed that the heater wasn't really outputting much heat, thought this was just another gremlin (there were a few and understand it's part of the fun). Took a nap for about an hour, decided I wanted to be at a rest stop, and closer so I only had to do about 2 hrs to finish in the morning, so put it in gear and drove off. it was then that I noticed it was reeving weird, so I pulled over and noticed that my trans was wet, and leaking. Opened the hood, and was out of trans fluid. I didn't pick up any (didn't think since it was just serviced I needed to get every type of oil and lube just in case). Now i'm stuck on PA turnpike , no street lights anywhere, didn't pick up emergency flares or anything. in matte black CUCV. I crawl under to see if I can do anything to fix. I look behind me and notice some sleepy truckers swerve to avoid hitting me at the last second. So i quickly worked my way up the side of the cliff by my truck, and called for help.

I realized that the heater core was busted, and causing engine to work a bit harder, and may have shook any issues the trans had. So guy at shop takes a look, and after awhile, finds that the parking break froze. he fixed that filled me with some trans fluid. This happen to occur close to where a guy who has a website with lots of parts is, I had called him earlier to see if he had some parts in stock in case I needed a diff. Decied to take the journey to see him, and very glad I did, he had about 10 cucvs just sitting there for parts, and whatnot. Grabbed a few accessories, and he's close enough I can go back.

Finally decided it was time to turn off the engine, found the closest hotel, and crashed. got to Baltimore with no further issues about 12 hrs later.

Got a lot of looks driving this thing, but after going through all this, Still have a smile on my face. :razz::razz::razz:

What's next?
-Dad's a mechanic, will check it out, make sure no failures or worries (replacing heater core)
-Get it tag'd and titled (Maryland classify's as historical so no inspection is required, which is good, because it would fail)
-Need to fix door locks (live in Baltimore city) I may just remove them all together, and just use a power assisted unlock system with a secondary release under, or just use a external lock
-Need to pick up a heater core this weekend and possibly a blower fan and install
-Need to start to go through the electrical going to try to trace every cable, Previous owner has some odd cabling, and things are not as tidy as I like them, I don't want to have to worry about corrosion being my Single point of failure, also need to diagram the wiring for future mods, and re cabling.
-Start on mods after electric and mechanical are checked out (and install remote starter)

AZK9

Glad your adventure worked out for you! [thumbzup]

Great fun ahead for you and your dad! Good luck with your project!

WatchDawg

Thanks all, so the original owner, apprently decided to use one belt for alt 2 and the power steering, so gotta fix that today, and start to order some parts

WatchDawg

Just a quick update - So, little things here and there I am noticing as this is my daily driver. I'm going to parts store tomorrow to order parts, will replace all hoses and belts, and I need a new Thermostat, just for piece of mind. Starting to dig through TM's like a mad man as I plan on my mods and upgrades. Just want to get back to 0 before I start to build up from the base. One question, has anyone put in 5 point harness in lue of seatbelt?