• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Flip the PTO?

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ok, one more question and I'll be done ;-). I happened to pick up a 5-ton PTO today. After looking at the PTO and the pics in this thread, it looks as if the output will still come out of the PTO on the upper shaft even with the 5-ton parts. If that is true, it still won't solve the clearance issues with the brake pedal support.

Am I right?

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
That's correct. Also, the 5ton shaft would need to be shortened, for the same reason.
Again, it all depends on what parts can be found to build a relatively small swing diameter U-joint, but strong enough to turn a pump probably demanding 15-20Hp.

G.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Here's the conclusion I've come to. There are two ways to make the shaft point toward the rear.

One is to use a 5-ton shaft (like Gringeltaube has said) and accually put the PTO on upside-down.

The other is to turn the output shaft around where it comes out the back of the PTO. You have to remove the middle shaft to do this so you'll only have one speed after doing this.

Having said all that, there's no way to mount the PTO after you do either of these mods. When you flip the pto the shift rod interferes with the brake pedal brackets. When you reverse the shaft the shaft itself interferes with the brake pedal brackets.

I've sat and looked at a deuce and a 5-ton pto (and taken them apart and swapping parts) for literally hours and this is what I've concluded. It can't be done with out major brake linkage modification. If somebody smarter than me can figure this out, I'm ready to listen.

goldneagle

My M820A2 has a rear facing Hydraulic pump that runs the liftgate. It is PTO operated. I will have to take some pictures of it for you guys.

How about another option? What about a 24 volt hydraulic pump? My ISUZU NPR truck had a hydraulic liftgate that used a 12 volt hydraulic pump to operate. WHy can't you do the same with a 24 volt pump? I am not sure about the AMPS required though. It might require an upgrade in Alternators.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm sure your truck has the accessory drive that mounts to the back of the PTO.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks