• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Ford GSA--Green MRE wrapper and accessory pack so it counts

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I got a GSA Auction 2008 Ford Pickup. While cleaning it out I found MRE stuff and other chump change stuff to make it extremely likely it came from a nearby base.

It ain't green but it appears to have been used by the green machine. Unfortunately, it's gas but it went cheap at the auction. Any Ford mechanics here to ask gasser specific questions to (especially about catalytic converters)?

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
All you need to know is cut them out and replace with exhaust pipe! Make sure you take them to the recycle center for $$$$$$$.

WILDBOY6X6

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You can remove them if your state (or area) does not have smog tests about catalytic converters

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had to replace mine on my ME350A1. Rockauto it was inexpensive for a right-fit, not universal. HUGE difference! You can tell by the smell of the exhaust if its bad.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
What codes is it throwing? In TX removing the cat will get you into an endless cycle of dealing with crooked inspection stations. Better to fix it right. Agreed with Rockauto for cats, much cheaper than local sourced and oem quality. Make sure the engine is not misfiring or your new cat will melt in short order!

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Last edited:

VPed

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If you order from Rockauto, there is always a discount code available, usually for 5 % off. If you need it, I can find one and send it to you.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Naw, won't remove the CAT's expect to change them. Figure a MAGNAFLOW bolt it CAT will work? Misfires were corrected by pulling and cleaning the very dirty coil packs and sealing them with dielectric gell. No more codes from there in over 500 miles which included some pretty wet weather we had recently. Looking at it's maintenance record, it had a head gasket change that included replacing the spark plugs at 45000 (it was 67000 when I bought it). Not sure what they replaced them with but hopefully not the same 3piece style that break. Fingers crossed they were the newer one piece.

Only code coming up which was there since I got it and still remains is a P0420 (bank 1 CAT inefficiency).

Jeepsinker

Check and see if the truck has an inline fuel filter on the frame rail before you do anything else. If it does, change it. Most times a plugged fuel filter will throw lean codes or oxygen sensor codes, but sometimes will throw cat codes, although usually for both cats. Other than that just stick with what we Pm'd about.
Edit: if you use the magnaflow it should work without issue.

Last edited:

Gunzy

If they had coolant going through the exhaust from the head gasket and didn't replace the O2 sensors they will have problems. You may replace the B1S2 O2 sensor and retest before a cat. If you have access to a scanner look at the voltage on that sensor. If it is fluctuating as fast as the B1S1 sensor the cat is bad.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
Replaced the cats and it passed and it runs and the engine check light is off and been off for over a week. So now I got a non-green iron former range ops vehicle. Happy days.

NDT

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Great! Lesson learned: If the check engine light flashes, (misfire) shut the engine down and get towed, or plan on replacing cat(s). Cat can melt in a few miles of driving, ask me how I know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks