• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Formal Introduction and a M35

lawdog1623

download the tm's find a truck thats reasonable and in reasonable shape (3,000 to 6,000) if thats even possible now. Do the work yourself and learn as you go. This isnt rocket science its a labor of love.

MtnDuece

First was 84 Toyota pu rebuilt motor drove 10 miles down the road all radiator hoses blew off. Second was same truck new shop water pump and clutch another 10 miles snapped clutch cable crapy gasket on water pump leaked " I replaced lasted 6 years till I laid her to rest" RIP BABY SHE WAS A GREAT TRUCK 3rd was another shop my dirt bike went in for basic tune up came out with broke clutch lever and tweaked my pro tappers enough is enough

Navo

I dont mind paying more for a truck, because I want to start enjoying it immediately. I understand that I will have to do routine maintenance and fix minor things here and there. I do not want to purchase a truck that has issues like - "Radiator was leaking, hood was in HORRIBLE shape (would need replacing), air dryer didn't work, tach didn't work, and the parking break didn't work.".

That is what Im trying to get across. I want a truck that I can enjoy for a while with out headaches. I know that I could buy the $20,000 truck and 100 miles later the transmission wont shift (then I would have to have it towed and repaired because I cannot do that type of maintenance) Or I could buy a truck for 2,000 and it will run for years to come. Basically, my biggest fear as in any vehicle is the transmission breaks or the engine breaks. The rest I feel that I can handle, especially with you all being so knowledgeable on these trucks. But as stated before, it can happen to anything at anytime.

It's luck of the draw. I personally feel more comfortable if I know the truck at least had some form of treatment or looking over. Sure, I can go of GL and buy one from there but that is taking a HUGE risk. Especially for a person that has never owned or worked on a MV.

This is my 2cents

So.... I just received a quote from two different dealers. They are both around the $20,000 mark. I have to admit, that is some sticker shock.... BUT, I guess I have to consider what they are doing to it before I get it. Im looking for "Turn Key"

"The truck will be a clean low mileage model direct from government storage. It will be brought into our shop to be inspected, cranked, fully serviced and mechanically upgraded where necessary. The fuel tank will be removed and cleaned. The truck will have the CAT 3116 diesel engine, Allison AT1545 automatic transmission, airshift transfer case and Air-O-Matic power steering. The electrical system will be 24-volt with new batteries. The brake system will be air/hydraulic and will be rebuilt. The tire inflation system will be removed and wheel bearings replaced with M35A2 bearings.The tires will be good used (70% tread) 14.5R20 steel belted single style tires with one spare.

Also included will be a hardtop, west coast mirrors,heater and keyed ignition. The chassis will have the 12ft steel cargo body with troop seats and cover. We wll then freshen up the military camo paint job in our body shop."

What do you guys think?
Navo, You should be able to find an A3 for around $8,000 to $10,000 that is in good working order. For $20,000 it would have to be EXTREMELY tricked out.

Navo

I have searched ebay and some local listings. I have not been able to find a truck that is somewhat local (so I don't have to pay for shipping) and ready to go. Maybe Im looking in the wrong places? I found a couple near MD. But it looks like they are just re selling what the bought from GL.

If you all know someone that is close to VA and they have a quality truck I am interested. I welcome a PM with the info. Heck, even if there far away I will consider it.

If you all think that I would be better off getting one from a non dealer, Im all for it. Trust me, I don't want to spend 20K on a toy... I was just thinking that this would be the way to go. But apparently not.

I have searched ebay and some local listings. I have not been able to find a truck that is somewhat local (so I don't have to pay for shipping) and ready to go. Maybe Im looking in the wrong places? I found a couple near MD. But it looks like they are just re selling what the bought from GL.

If you all know someone that is close to VA and they have a quality truck I am interested. I welcome a PM with the info. Heck, even if there far away I will consider it.

If you all think that I would be better off getting one from a non dealer, Im all for it. Trust me, I don't want to spend 20K on a toy... I was just thinking that this would be the way to go. But apparently not.
Be sure to check the classifieds here and maybe even post a want ad here for an A3. Also, in addition to ebay, try using searchtempest.com. It is a craigslist search engine. So you can basically search all craigslist sites within a radius at once instead of having to search each city individually. That is how I found my first deuce.

MtnDuece

I agree with rambling wreck truck sounds really nice just don't want to see an SS MEMBER over pay that's why we join these groups for honest intell I've got nothing but good advise from all offer them 15 k before u throw 20 large out there most dealers will negotiate if u start waking away with cash still in ur pocket

Navo

Be sure to check the classifieds here and maybe even post a want ad here for an A3. Also, in addition to ebay, try using searchtempest.com. It is a craigslist search engine. So you can basically search all craigslist sites within a radius at once instead of having to search each city individually. That is how I found my first deuce.
Nice, I will give that search engine a try. Thanks man!

Navo

I agree with rambling wreck truck sounds really nice just don't want to see an SS MEMBER over pay that's why we join these groups for honest intell I've got nothing but good advise from all offer them 15 k before u throw 20 large out there most dealers will negotiate if u start waking away with cash still in ur pocket
This was of course before we did any negotiating. I doubt I could get them down to 15K, but that still seems high based on what you all are telling me. Im gonna try that search engine for criags list and see what that brings.

MtnDuece

My brother works at a dealer and he gave me the lowdown 20g puts about 8g overhead for the sales men if u walk on 20 he sits on a truck for another year or two till the next new ss member makes an offer and has this same conversation

A BIRD IN HAND IS BETTER THAN TWO IN THE BUSH

Navo

My brother works at a dealer and he gave me the lowdown 20g puts about 8g overhead for the sales men if u walk on 20 he sits on a truck for another year or two till the next new ss member makes an offer and has this same conversation

A BIRD IN HAND IS BETTER THAN TWO IN THE BUSH
So, from what I gather, I should make a counter offer of say... $14,000 then see is counter offer. Of course from what these guys have said even thats to much...

Navo

We are not allowed to post links to ebay and criags list right? Im pretty sure I read we can't. Anyway, I was going to have a couple of you all give me some feed back on a couple of ones I have seen previously.

Although, now that I think about it, not much you can really tell from pictures... other than looks like it might need paint. aua LOL

We are not allowed to post links to ebay and criags list right? Im pretty sure I read we can't. Anyway, I was going to have a couple of you all give me some feed back on a couple of ones I have seen previously.

Although, now that I think about it, not much you can really tell from pictures... other than looks like it might need paint. aua LOL
Yeah, I wouldn't do that. You can PM me some of the listings. I will be happy to look at them tonight and let you know my thoughts.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks