• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Found a new Winch 25,000 lb 24 volt

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
I don't know, at MAX pull, it calls for 258 amps and a duty cycle of 2.8 min. of use , then 10 min. NO load time

mudguppy

not only is that winch about as slow as all electric winches, i'd bet that you could buy a Garwood and convert it to hydraulic drive for less money than buying just that winch.

i'm not hating, just that at higher line pull levels (over, say 12k lbs) i think electric quickly and exponentially deviates from the performance advantages of PTO or Hydraulic (mainly hydro).

think about it this way: if your truck was mired and took 15k lbs of line pull (not unreasonable, and likely too low considering a 5T) for 25 feet of truck, it'd take over 4 minutes at over 150A draw (1st layer numbers; higher layers result in higher Amps). that may be within the duty cycle of the winch, but that's hella-hard on your charging system / batteries.

a PTO winch (and even hydro-converted) will do the same in 1 minute, with continuos duty cycle, and an additional 100' of line.

just sayin'...

Last edited:

indy4x4fab

Banned
Ok so at the end of the day its got a great cool factor but the real world factor is its just not the right fit for the truck. Thanks for all the feed back.

spicergear

Like this. :) I left room at the back of the motor as I had the measurements from the next size torque rated oil motor so if ever I can swap in and it *should* be a bolt in change. Oil motors are on ebay all the time. $100- $300 for good ones. I got lucky and snagged this for $50 new in box and it virtually matched the output of the Mog's factory front mounted hydraulic pump. It could be faster but I have a smaller pinion drive gear to lend a little more mechanical advantage to the motor. Again, it could be faster...but it should run at 100% duty cycle all the live-long day.

Attachments

derby

I don't know about the electric winch, other than cool factor. I would doubt that you would amass a towing bill that high in ten years.
Spicergear very nice truck