• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Front wheel hubs - seal question

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was mindlessly taking off the front brake drums after having done the rears. Beside the point is that bozo soldier A replaced the driver's side set of brake shoes while he left the right side untouched although it is worn to sh&t and two guide pins fell out.

There were no corks in the keyways and there was no outer seal on either side. I took a spare outer seal and it would fit perfectly.
I was under the impression that the front and rear hubs are set up alike.

Question: Aside from putting RTV into the keyway, does an outer seal go between the outer bearing and the inner axle nut?

YES I LOOKED INTO THE TM 9-2320-209-20-3-2. The pics show black blurbs and the text does not refer to an outer seal. So, I guess, the answer is No, but I want to make sure.
I do not understand why the rears would need an outer seal but the fronts would not.

AceHigh

There were no corks in the keyways and there was no outer seal on either side. I took a spare outer seal and it would fit perfectly.
I was under the impression that the front and rear hubs are set up alike.
Don't think they are needed on the front.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the front there is (or should be) only clean grease on both sides so there is no reason to keep them separated via a seal.
On the other hand, if water could enter into the knuckle due to a damaged boot it will sure end into the hub and wheel bearings trough the spindle, sooner or later, with known consequences.
So I guess a seal there would add in safety, at least for some of us who like to go swimming from time to time... :roll:

G.

cattlerepairman

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In the front there is (or should be) only clean grease on both sides so there is no reason to keep them separated via a seal.
On the other hand, if water could enter into the knuckle due to a damaged boot it will sure end into the hub and wheel bearings trough the spindle, sooner or later, with known consequences.
So I guess a seal there would add in safety, at least for some of us who like to go swimming from time to time... :roll:

G.
Ok....so putting the seal in, while it may not do anything terribly useful, also does no harm. Good to know.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks