• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel leaking

jimm1009

I have had a small amount of moisture (fuel) around the sending unit / fuel pump access area.
I took the sheetmetal cover off tonight to take a picture for a fellow Mv'er and found my problem. I had fuel under the cover where the fuse is located as seen in the three pictures.
Before I go scraping and cleaning, I need to ask about this.
Does the wire going down into the tank normally have a seal or is it sealed where it enters the tank. I would assume that it is sealed but I gotta ask and look a little silly.
If it is a sealant that has failed, I have access to aviation grade, fuel proof sealant that is used in the wet-wind aircraft (all big aircraft).
A little trivia; Large civilian machines have all the bolts and rivets sealed and then the fuel is litterally just dumped into the wings. There are no fuel bladders in most big ones so we use lots of sealent when doing repairs.
In my case, my truck runs fine other than the slight moisture in the above mentioned area, but as most trucks are, the fuel quantity shows full when it's not. Right now it is 1/3 full and indicates about 4/5 full. I know this is normally a poor ground which I will investigate while fixing this problem. I don't think the fuel under the cap is related to fuel quantity problem though, is it?
:?:

Attachments

Tackettr

Jim, its hard to tell in picture #2 but it looks like your missing a lock washer and nut on the wire going into the tank. That is the power lead going to the in-tank pump. Inside it is a shielded wire that goes from the motor up to a special D shaped threaded piece which should have some type of seal around it. Mine looked like ruberized cork. Anyway, that comes out of the tank and you run your lock washer and nut over the wire and on the threads to secure the seal.

Looks like your is missing that nut and the threaded piece is loose allowing fuel to splash out. Hope this helps. :-D

Tackettr

Jim it appears that the threaded part shown in my pictures is missing it's lock washer and nut. It also appears to have fallen down some with only the wire sticking through creating plenty of room for fuel to splash out and cause your leak.

Looks like you need to find a lock washer and nut to seal up your leak. The black circle around the treaded part is the seal for the inside of the tank.

Sorry pics are so bad, it's late.

Kevin

Attachments

Last edited: