• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Fuel / noise / difficult starting problem(s)

jeffhuey1n

SMSgt, USAF (Ret.)
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not looking for help on this one, just passing on what I've found. Start with the initial problem. This might get a little long winded, so getting a beverage is probably a good deal. BTW, this is all for a M1009.
anyhoo, initial problem was the fuel filter base was leaking from the drain no matter how much I tightened it. So bought a new filter base. Found out the GM made for Dodge and the GM made for GM are just a bit different. The drains are the same so after taking from new and adding to old, leak went away. Purged air from the filter / lines in accordance with TM, ran fine but there was this really annoying metallic rattle coming from the passenger side of the engine.
Fast forward to next start up. Engine started up ran for about 10 seconds then died, wouldn't restart. Checked everything over, no leaks...hmmm, got to check the TM. TM says it could be the air filter. Pulled the top off and there inside was this gooey gack covered rubber thingy wrapped around the air filter, removed said gooey thingy and checked filter, clean as a whistle. Next step, check fuel filter pressure. Don't have a fuel gauge that'll work. Have several gauges but not the correct one....cheaper to buy a new pump, cause thats on the TM list of things that break. Changed pump, but couldn't purge the air...couldn't figure out how. Made a pump from bits and pieces, purged the air and ran like a champ AND annoying noise is now gone. Fast forward to next start up. Starts immediately, runs 10 seconds, dies, won't restart. Bleep, bleep, bleep and assorted other fowl language. Everything tells me I'm loosing the prime but no fuel leaks. Gotta be the fuel tank or associated lines in the back end. Problem...3/4 tank of diesel. Found more pieces parts and rigged a pump to suck out the fuel. Did you know some M1009s have this neat little plugged line in the right rear wheel well? Plug a hose pump dohickey into it and slurp out goe the gas.
Oh, missed one major important step...20+ pounds of good old Wyoming mud (WYANG truck) caked all over the back end. 1 hour of blasting with a pressure washer later, I found the tank. Boring part now, disconnect ALL hoses before removing straps, you'll find out why if you do it the way I did...very messy, mud everywhere.

Found (i think) the problem: hoses are obvious replacements. AND they are the wrong type hose. Diesel hoses are made for diesel. Gas hoses for gas. Put gas hose in place of diesel hose, they rot, turn hard and crack in about a bazillion pieces. Physically impossible for fuel lines to stay primed when they're full of HOLES! Once I find replacements, the saga will continue and I'll post pictures of my home made fuel transfer dohickeys.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks