• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

G code pump question

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
According to what I read in TM 9-2910-226-34, the G code pump is used on the LDS engine?, I have a truck that appears to have a G code pump on it, but the motor is a LDT 1C. Any thoughts?, I've been chasing an overheating problem on this truck and was going to turn down the fuel. It still has the lockwire on the cover over the adjustment screw, but it seems to be getting PLENTY of fuel. . .

Thanks,
Ed

Attachments

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
FYI: I have a pump off an LDS and it is marked LDS on the data plate.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I was curious about the rpm marking, I thought the LDS max rpm's were higher than the LDT. . .

Last edited:

FormerNewMVGuy

The truck that i got for my son-in-law has the same pump, we increased the fuel three flats and backed the droop out two full turns. That truck runs well , but it wont start with out depressing the accelerator pedal, The other 4 trucks ive had fire right up. But that truck with the g-pump wont go wthout a little pedal.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is a "field adjustment procedure" in the Troubleshooting the LDS TM.

The LDS is supposed to be goverened at 28-2900 rpm max(irrc).

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The truck that i got for my son-in-law has the same pump, we increased the fuel three flats and backed the droop out two full turns. That truck runs well , but it wont start with out depressing the accelerator pedal, The other 4 trucks ive had fire right up. But that truck with the g-pump wont go wthout a little pedal.
This truck needs just a bit of pedal to go, but then its good.

There is a "field adjustment procedure" in the Troubleshooting the LDS TM.

The LDS is supposed to be goverened at 28-2900 rpm max(irrc).
Thanks DH, have yet to take a look there.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
I'm posting my observations here as well, I'm trying to adjust a G code (LDS) pump that is installed on a LDT-465-1C engine. When I took the cover off the fuel adjust I found this, throttle is at zero, motor is not running, does this look right? neither adjustment is touching the bar. . .

Attachments

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
I have a united technologies pump taken apart in the basement. It doesn't have the assembly on the left half of your pics.

I know, it is not an LDS pump. Wonder what that does.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
The left side assembly is the main fuel adjust, I backed it off like you would a regular Deuce pump and it reduced smoke and power, I'm trying to find a happy medium between the droop screw, and the main fuel adjustment. . .

And since I can't find a procedure anywhere, it's hit or miss, but I am making progress :-D

gimpyrobb

I wish Eric would jump in here. There is the servo adjustment that controls the overall fuel delivery. That is on the top of the fdc facing the radiator. Then there is the screw below it, that controls the top end fuel delivery. Finally there is the droop screw at the back of the fdc facing the firewall. It controls the idle-1600rpm fuel delivery. You had any reduction in temps now that you have less smoke? I don't think this will help an overheating but we will know soon I guess.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
Temps seem to be better, I'm at my wits end, I've replaced the thermostat, had the radiator rodded out, flushed the block, and it was still running 200-210 on a long run. I've checked the temps with an IR thermometer, and checked the IP timing. . . air temps here are in the upper 90's

Since turning the pump down, hope I'm doing it right, it seems to be running, maybe 5-10 degrees cooler but I'm still not happy.

And before anyone chimes in with "why are you messing with the pump?" this is how I got the truck from GL, I'm just trying to make it right, so it's not running hot. :p

gimpyrobb

In all fairness, my lds truck(deuce) runs about 180-200 all the time. I have had 2 different radiators and spoke with a few people. Seems to be where it likes to run. I have pulled a 109 on a tow bar and had over 10klbs in the bed. It has not boiled over yet.

FMJ

In Memorial
In Memorial
But this is a LDT-1C motor with an LDS pump. . . I have a couple of LDT pumps, but if I can get this one right it's preferable to swapping out. . .

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
But this is a LDT-1C motor with an LDS pump. . .
... a rebuilt G style LDS427-2 pump (no FDC) with a C,D & E style head (HD90100A) ??

There seem to be plenty around, wondering what origin that head is.....

G.

Just realized that the IP in question is neither a LDS nor a code "G" pump; the dataplate on the governor housing clearly says PSB6A 90EH 5337A3 which in combination with the HD90100A head is applicable to all LD/LDT models.
Although, this one has no FDC but using the same cover as the typical LDS427 pump, instead.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm posting my observations here as well, I'm trying to adjust a G code (LDS) pump that is installed on a LDT-465-1C engine. When I took the cover off the fuel adjust I found this, throttle is at zero, motor is not running, does this look right? neither adjustment is touching the bar. . .
The smoke cam or droop screw is not hitting the bar because it is not running.
If you take off the 2 screws that hold on the fuel shut down cable and housing then you will see what is going on.
Most of the trucks I have worked on are only turned up 2/3 of what adjustment there is. If you use your hand and move the fuel rod forward to front of engine and look down at the fuel shut off you will see that the cut off is like pointing at the 7 oclock pisition when at full fuel setting from factory. It can be taken to full fuel when it hits the screw that holds on the fuel linkage rod.
The smoke cam must be brought or tilted down to lessen the degree along with the droop screw. That is the black nut on the back side of the gov. lever
Yes it looks correct for a factory setting. Four threads showing on the back side main fuel rod and smoke cam is in the factory setting.

Last edited:

Floridianson

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wish Eric would jump in here. There is the servo adjustment that controls the overall fuel delivery. That is on the top of the fdc facing the radiator. Then there is the screw below it, that controls the top end fuel delivery. Finally there is the droop screw at the back of the fdc facing the firewall. It controls the idle-1600rpm fuel delivery. You had any reduction in temps now that you have less smoke? I don't think this will help an overheating but we will know soon I guess.
Bad boy don't play with your servo or you will go blind.
Please leave the servo needle alone as this wackes out FDC and it won't work right. If it is bypassed then it does no good at all.

Last edited: