• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gas Deuce engine flooding

cbvet

Our '52 gas-engined M35 is hard to start when the engine's hot. Seems to flood a little. Have to crank it a while with the throttle to the floor, then some more with about 1/4 throttle, to get it started.
What do you guys suggest?
Could carb float level be too high causing problem?
Something weak in the ignition system?
Starts fine with a little choke when it's cold.
I value your opinions.
Eric

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Lean..intake leak, idle adjustment . If it has an advance, pos. stuck in the advance position? It's been a while for gasser troubleshooting...sorry.

Westech

CPL
well take a plug out and see if is wet with gas after the hard start. It could be too lean and not getting enough gas. It may be retarted timing but not over advanced, if it were that it would kick back and trun over hard. the hotter the enging the less the air fuel ratio is, hence more power and ezer starting when its cool out. so if it was a bit lean to start it will be alot more lean when blistering hot. I would first pull your plugs and take a peak and then check your timing.

rdixiemiller

Some of the old carburated engines would leak gas into the manifold after the engine was shut down. Rhis could be caused by several things, carb float too high, leaking needle and seat, bad carb gaskets, etc.

JasonS

Based on my experience and the experience of others, this is not an unusual phenomenon. Part of the reason is todays gas and the second is the exhaust heated intake which causes the gas in the float bowl to evaporate and flood the engine. The later Reo gas engines did not have the exhaust heat. I would start by making sure that the engine is in a good state of tune.

JasonS

You can also update your stock ignition with a 24volt pertronix. We did this to my brother's M52 with a great improvemnt in starting.

cbvet

Thanks for all the great tips. I guess I'll start with checking the carb float level & timing. I pulled a couple of plugs & they look good.
What TM would have carb adjustments & tune-up specs?
Eric

acetomatoco

I have a M35 Carb rebuild kit for sale....$35.. fits the OH331 Gold Comet with the Holley two barrel as standard...plus postage from 05822... (When you flood the Reo.. hold accellerator to floor continually while cranking...do not pump... and eventually the fouling will clear and it will start providing you have good spark...lots of folks have same symtoms with M38s and m37s... nature of the beasts.

acetomatoco

Remember you can advance the timing a little as the gasoline currently is a lot higher octane than the Mo-Gas they were designed to use in combat situations....get it to ping a little under load and then back off about 2 degrees...and if you are paranoid, you can use a little lead substitute additive...

cbvet

Ace,
You got me thinking. When we first got the gas Deuce, I was fueling it & adding lead substitute. No starting problems.
Lately, my buddy has been buying the gas (thank you) but NOT adding the lead. I guess that could be making a difference.
PM sent too.
Eric

m139h2otruck

I'm not sure about the deuce, but the 5 ton gasser has hard valve seats and valves so you don't have to add lead subsititue to your gas. We just run ours on standard 87 gass with the timing bumped up a little for better grunt. Original MOGAS is something like 78-80 octane. The "new" gas is a problem with the older rubber and gaskets!!

Barrman

That is a good question about the OA331 valve seats. I don't know the answer. But, if it doesn't, the seats wearing away would cause hard starting at all times, not just when hot.

As a reference, I redid my carb before I ever got the engine running. I have no problems with starting hot or cold.

JasonS

The problem with today's gas is not that it lacks lead; it is that it evaporates more easily. The hot soak after shutdown floods your engine. The fuel vapors cannot make it out of the filter. As gasoline became better and more easily vaporized, Reo did away with the exhaust heat. What you can do, is upgrade to a modern Holley 2300 series 2bbl and paper air filter.

As far as I know, all Reos have stellite seats and stellite faced valves. Keep in mind that Kettering added tetraethyl lead to gasoline as a low cost octane boost. It was not done for valve seats.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks