• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Gauges: Tach, temp, and others. Recommendations?

Skinny

I am going to swap a DB4 into my Cuck Vee that way when the PMD develops PMS it sends a TXT via BT ;)

BTW, just registered my M1031 in New Hampshire yesterday. Whoever took CUCV for a vanity plate...I'm watching you!!!!! I had to go with CUCKV instead :(

llong66

I originally wanted to do a full gauge set up using either military gauges (M998 style) or aircraft. Of course we all know how accurate military gauges are
This is the first I have heard of the military gauges not being accurate, is this a normal problem? I had thought of going the rout till I found speed hut, can you give me a lil more info on the M998 units please?

Thanks,
Greg

tim292stro

Electrical military gauges, many New-Old-Stock (NOS), are matched to sender that are not available any more - others come with the sender, but the sender is no longer calibrated. Then the electrical gremlins sit down for a party - bad grounds, mis-sized wires, incorrect power, bad used wires - all of these add up to make a NOS electrical military gauge unreliable, or an "idiot gauge" at best.

As my Air Force buddy says frequently, "Just because it's Military, doesn't mean it's good..." Remember parts were often made by the lowest bidder on these trucks, even when there was a good reason for the price to be higher. My advice: find a Stewart Warner, ISSPro gauge or other "currently in production" and "modern" unit and its matched sender that looks like the military gauge you are replacing or adding.

This is the most recent anecdote I could find using the site search: www.steelsoldiers.com/showthread.php?108657-HMMWV-Overheat-Q-s-and-pictures

cpf240

We are also taking about cars and trucks here, not space shuttles or super colliders... there is no great need, in general, for great precision or accuracy in the gauges the common users is going to interact with.

While I would love to have 100% accurate gauges, I don't have that kind of money, and really, as long as I know to pull over when the needle starts climbing into the danger zone, I'm good.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks