• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

General noob questions

icor1031

I'm trying to decide if I want to get an M35A2, and I have a few questions.

Can I likely find one near south-west South Dakota?
Is it hard or expensive to find replacement parts, as things break?
If I need to do a major project, i.e., the engine goes out - what massive device do I need to remove/swap it? A car's engine hoist / cherry picker would be too small, right?
Do the vehicles have a high ownership cost, ignoring gas/mpg? i.e., does it often need repair, do the parts cost a lot? Or anything else, i.e., can it only use conventional oil? ( I drive ~100 miles a month, so synthetic's 1-year life is much cheaper. )

Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks! :)

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'm trying to decide if I want to get an M35A2, and I have a few questions.

Can I likely find one near south-west South Dakota?
Is it hard or expensive to find replacement parts, as things break?
If I need to do a major project, i.e., the engine goes out - what massive device do I need to remove/swap it? A car's engine hoist / cherry picker would be too small, right?
Do the vehicles have a high ownership cost, ignoring gas/mpg? i.e., does it often need repair, do the parts cost a lot? Or anything else, i.e., can it only use conventional oil? ( I drive ~100 miles a month, so synthetic's 1-year life is much cheaper. )

Is there anything else I should know?
Thanks! :)
Depends on your definition of close.

Not now, parts are available and not as expensive as one of the new M939 series 5-tons.

I have an over head trolly with chain hoist to do engine swaps or heavy lifts. Car hoist is too small and it won't even come close to getting up as high as you need. Cherry picker may work depending on the size.

I've spent about $75 on my M813 in the last 2.5 years for the brake problem but then again I don't drive it as much as other people drive their trucks on here. I broke a crankshaft and destroyed an engine in my Deuce one summer. Cost $400 for an engine plus whatever fluids to replace it.

About $150 for an oil change with all filters.

ke5eua

Cost of ownership will increase relative to the size of the vehicle. Being a mv it already increases it.

Keep in mind the oil quantity needed in your decision for synthetic oil, it can get expensive real quick.

Parts replacement depends a lot on the condition of when you get it and also how you drive it.

Changing an engine your going to need a small crane or a frame hoist tall enough to pull the engine. Most people use wreckers to change engines.

Cost of parts, well it all depends on where you get them from on how much you spend. It's a mv so expect to pay the premium. A good example is the pt pump on the 5 tons, a military reman will cost you over 800 but a straight cummins part will be 350.

They are fun don't get me wrong, just do your research before jumping in head first. Find someone in your area and see if you can get behind the wheel of one and go over maintenance and other items you would like to know.

SCSG-G4

PSVB 3003
Steel Soldiers Supporter
5 tons also require a CDL to be legal because their gross vehicle weight is over 26,000 pounds. There are numerous threads here on the 'real cost of owning' a MV. Insurance is a whole issue unto itself, because every state has different requirements, and there are not many companies that will write a policy (but a lot of agents will, which works till you are in an accident and the insurance company cries fraud and won't pay). DO NOT START an INSURANCE THREAD, instead read all the threads that already exist on that subject. If you still do not understand, read them all again, out loud. Repeat until you do understand or you wise up and ask a local insurance agent or your state Motor Vehicles Department!

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike's advice about insurance is sound so please do not continue to post anything else about it. Please read the sticky on the subject.

This is a hint and even the web page you looked at is wrong.

greenjeepster

How tall are you? I am 5, 10 and the Deuce cab is just too small for me to drive any distance comfortably. If you are tall definitely look for one with the adjustable spring seat as it will give you a little better comfort.

There are guys on here who drive theirs pretty regular and can give you a better idea on costs of operation. I have had only minor repair issues, but I don't put many miles on them.

Last edited:

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't tell Stretch he's too tall to drive his Deuces, he's 6'5". :)

I'm 6'1" and bigger than almost everyone on the site and I don't have a problem driving my Deuce or 813. Every truck is different as well. Same seats in my Deuces and one fits nice with plenty of room and the other I feel like I'm in a condom and not in a good way. Fortunately I sold the snug one.

greenjeepster

The worst one I had was the 72 with the box seat. My 89 A2Cs with the springer seats are better, but still not what I would call driving in comfort. But that may have to do with the fact that I am a former commercial truck driver and used to air ride cabs and lots of leg room.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So what you are saying is that you are spoiled? :)

I've driven one of the Frankentruck 939s with air ride and it would spoil me too.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I feel that way after driving my Wife's Jaguar but that isn't a problem now since I broke a bolt changing the serpentine belt and it sits in the driveway slowly fading away.

greenjeepster

I feel that way after driving my Wife's Jaguar but that isn't a problem now since I broke a bolt changing the serpentine belt and it sits in the driveway slowly fading away.
Is it the V12? Cut the catalytic converter out of that thing and sell it, It has a good bit of platinum in it. Something like 1200 worth. Get a new ring made for her and crush the rest of the car.

CARNAC

The Envelope Please.
Supporting Vendor
I'm 6'3" and drove mine from the west tip of TX to Aberdeen, MD. Seats make a big difference. It helps if you have a springer, helps more if it is a air ride, helps more if it is an A3 and even more if it is an MRAP seat.

rustystud

And don't scare people with cdl that need to be asked by him to his state DMV.
Actually that is a valid concern. All states require a CDL if it is over 26,000 . That's a Federal standard. I have a class "A" CDL since I'm required to operate the Wrecker to go and retrieve broken down busses. It is not an easy thing to get. The "B" class is easier then the "A" but it still is a pain and will cost a bit of money.

ke5eua

Actually that is a valid concern. All states require a CDL if it is over 26,000 . That's a Federal standard. I have a class "A" CDL since I'm required to operate the Wrecker to go and retrieve broken down busses. It is not an easy thing to get. The "B" class is easier then the "A" but it still is a pain and will cost a bit of money.
Without turning this into a cdl thread I will say this and hopefully it will be the end of it.

Some states have provisions in the books for antique vehicles registered as such that allow you to operate them without a cdl.

Also, please for a second take the time to understand some states have a non commercial class a.

And last, as long as the vehicle is not used for commercial purposes a commercial license is not required.

What people don't understand is that even if your a pizza delivery guy technically you should have commercial insurance and a commercial drivers license as you are using your vehicle for commercial means transporting cargo being sold.

Point is, op needs to contact someone at the police dept, preferably the state level who is familiar with commercial applications and see if there is an exemption for antique military vehicles.

greenjeepster

Correct; states interpret the federal law differently. But a commercial drivers license is for commercial vehicles OVER 26 K and/or towing OVER 10k lbs.
Hhy do you think Dodge sells brand new pickup trucks with a tow capacity of 33 K lbs and people not need a CDL? How do all these large boat owners in the northeast drag their 20K lb 30 ft cabin cruisers around without CDLs? And how do Class A RV owners drive their 60 K lb buses without CDLs? They are exempt because they are not involved in a commercial pursuit.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks