• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow plug Reamer Question

2INSANE

Hello! I heard there is a tool that can be used to ream out the glow plug holes to get the carbon out to make it easier to put in the new glow plugs. I was wondering if anyone knows what size reamer I should get and brand of choice? Any advice would help:)

cucvrus

I have never heard of such a thing. I never had a problem putting them in. It was getting them out that was a challenge at times. A little grease on the threads and right in. No problem.

Videris

2INSANE

K thanks! I was thinking about matching up a drill bit to a glow plug and then weld a handle on the drill bit to act as a reamer.

since it is new to the SS world. I'll post up pics when I geterdun:)

MarcusOReallyus

I would not put a drill bit anywhere near that GP hole. If you screw up the threads you will be replacing a head.

Look at it this way: It seems nobody makes that kind of tool for the 6.2. There must be a reason for that. Experienced users here (and I'm not one of those, but the guys who posted above certainly are) have never heard of it and don't see any need for it. There must be a reason for that.

Can you explain why you think it's needed?

Hasdrubal

I've changed out many glowplugs. I always put some neverseize on the threads. Once there was one that seemed to not want to thread in as far as the others. I simply kept threading it in and out carefully increasing pressure on the ratchet. It did go in farther, but not all the way. I didn't want to put anymore torque on it. It ran fine, there was no compression leakage. I never considered using a reamer. Have a look at the the glow plug body, where the diameter goes from the threaded section to the narrower end. It's self-evident.

I think the mercedes reamer is used to clean the actual element hole, not the threads.

Attachments

cucvrus

It needs no cleaning. A CUCV 6.2 head is different then the description. It has a small pre-chamber. If the old plug came out. The new one will go right in. no problem.

Tinstar

Super Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I also would not put a drill bit anywhere near the threads.
Thats just asking for trouble.
Wouldn't take much to jack up the threads.

You will be using a tool, not designed or intended for the 6.2L, for a problem that doesn't exist.
Ok
Your truck
Good Luck

Post pics when you have to remove the head.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tap is what you clean threads with.

My question is, where did you hear about a reamer?

FloridaAKM

Any good machinist will tell you that a reamer is for opening up holes, some precision, some some rough. Taps come in three basic sizes; starter, taper & bottom. They are designed to remove metal, to cut threads in the base metal, but can remove carbon deposits. Unless you are quite skilled with the correct tap, you can quickly destroy a functioning head when the tap starts cutting thru metal & you think you are removing carbon, I would look for a different approach.
Listen to the guys here who have done this a time or two.

2INSANE

There is carbon build up in the element hole. It is hard to get glow plugs in. Other then a reamer, what other ideas can be used to clean it out of carbon build up?

Rvitko

I started in diesels with the 80s Mercedes cars. The glow plug reamer is used because the prechambers are complicated and have a deflector between the injector and glow plug and the tip of the glow plug just fits in its pocket. To prevent a short you ream them on every change. It looks like a tap, but it is is very precise and cuts no metal. It is also an unpleasant job I would not do for fun as the angle is awkward and it is slow since you have to trap the carbon in grease in grooves on the reamer and get it out. (A lot of back and forth) If you take a look at a Mercedes prechamber vs a 6.2 you will see why one needs it and not the other.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There is carbon build up in the element hole. It is hard to get glow plugs in. Other then a reamer, what other ideas can be used to clean it out of carbon build up?
A tap.

royalflush55

Steel Soldiers Supporter
A tap with a little thin grease or oil on it to catch and remove the carbon cuttings!

Be very careful and not thread tap in too far!!

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
M10x1.0
My question is, where did you hear about a reamer?
Will you answer my question please?

Last edited:

cucvrus

M10x1.0
Never looked. i would have guessed a pipe thread size. Good to know. And you are 100% sure that is the correct size? If so he could drill out the center of a bolt and make a reamer if he so desired. But i would not want the drillings going into my combustion chamber.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Simply google the glow plugs for specs...

It is an uncommon thread pitch, but easily ordered online (yup, google it).

2INSANE

M10x1.0
Will you answer my question please?
I was looking on line for a solution to clean the carbon deposits in the glow plug element holes to make it easier for me to put new glow plugs in. The only solution I found was a reamer which is commonly used for Mercades and a few other diesels. To be on the safe side, I wanted to ask the pros on Steel Soldiers.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks