• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Glow Plug Switch

Rebelpride

Changed (3) glow plugs out today (2) were wellmans and (1) was AC13G and was broke in half. How much should I be concerned about the other half in the precombustion chamber?

Went thru page 2-63 in the -20 manual today and here are my findings:
Purple/white/START-12V
Light blue/RUN- Energized
Dark blue/RUN- Wait light ON
Pink/black/RUN- 12V
Orange/RUN- 8.48-10.47V-Appears I need to trace?
Yellow/OFF- 2.6 on the 20K ohm setting, is this 260ohms or 2600ohms?
Black/OFF- 0.2ohms
Pink/black & light blue at glow plug relay/OFF- 14ohms(Needs replacing?)

My "WAIT" light has not worked(or comes on and goes off quickly) in several months, so when I was doing my checks it came on, so I went to the "NO WAIT LIGHT" section and did Step 3(disconnecting the wire from the glow plug switch in the left rear of block) and the light came on.

So where do I find a glow plug switch? I looked at Advance Auto.com and found nothing that looked like the pic.

CCATLETT1984

WHAT HE SAID, DONT START IT!!!!!

If you are talking about the switch for manual operation of the glow plugs, just tell them you need a momentary-on pushbutton switch. It doesnt have to be that heavy duty (just operates the relay), but the HD switches (all metal) tend to last longer.

Rebelpride

OK THANKS FOR TELLING ME THAT. IF MY SISTER CRANKED IT ACCIDENTALLY, BUT IT DIDNT START WILL THAT HAVE HURT ANYTHING.

The switch that I am referring to is the one in the top left rear of the block.

Attachments

CCATLETT1984

it may have, but dont be worried, a few revolutions of the engine shouldnt cause it to drop into the chamber.

Ah that switch. Its going to be fun finding out what the parts store "calls" that switch in the computer. your best bet would be to call a dealer and have them look up the part number. Then please post it in the FAQ thread when you find out.

Braunchitis

It may have possibly hurt something. How long was it cranked? Having little metal parts bouncing around inside the cylinder is definitely not good for the motor.

You can try getting one of those little magnets on a collapsing rod (like a collapsing antenna) at Autozone or Walmart or wherever, pull out the injector, and try to get it out. If you really want to play it safe, take the head off......

If you want a manual glow plug installation, check out the sticky in the CUCV forum. Pretty simple to do. Don't use a toggle switch though. I found one that worked at Radioshack for $5, I think.

JAsher45

RE: Tools needed

19 MM on the fuel line, then injectors are a 30 MM kinda tricky of you dont have the right thin wall socket but with some some patients you can get an open end wrench on it

dependable

I once bought a 6.2 with a light engine rap. After putting a new crank kit in, (crank shaft, main & connecting rod bearings) It still rapped. Took the head off and imprinted on the piston top was the glow plug tip, its disintegration stamped in the aluminum. After replacing the piston & wrist pin the rap was gone. Live and learn. I mention this experience so others will know what to fix if they have an engine that has sucked down a glow plug tip.

JAsher45

the one you need is a specialty socket snap-on has it, BUT you should be able to pick a 30mm 1/2 drive socket at any napa/ big box hardware store or Sears. a standard socket will have to be grounds down a lil on the oustide to thin the wall so it fits.

Chuggin84'

Having some trouble finding this switch myself. From what I've read it's a Glow Plug Inhibit switch and extends the life of the glow plugs by not having to cold start it everytime you turn it off. Have you had any luck finding the part? I tried replacing it with a 115 degree switch from an 86' 6.2 (Ordered from part store look-up) and my glow-plugs won't even engage now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks