• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Good Friday M1009 Easter weekend recovery and rebuild project.

cucvrus

I have had a 1986 M1009 sitting in my bad yard wrecked since November 2007. I had taken it apart back then and pulled all the wreckage from the vehicle. Upon discovering the exstensive frame damage I parked it in the barn. But after a few years it was in the way and ended up parked out under the trees in the woods. I turned the engine over and started it every year and ran it through the gears. The frame is a total loss. I started to remove the body and stopped because I was going to use the parts. This M1009 has the entire inside Line Xed and is in excellent condition. The dash pad has 1 mark from a steering wheel lock that broke loose when I was towing it with a chain by myself. Inpatient at times I am. Wel,an yway I wanted to share the pictures with you. My son has been here to help me for the last 2 weeks and we are going001.jpg016.jpg011.jpg012.jpg010.jpg009.jpg008.jpg006.jpg007.jpg005.jpg004.jpg002.jpg017.jpg through the projects. We will be stripping another M1009 for the frame. This M1009 has a 4 " lift and had 35" tires on in when it was wrecked. We used it today to pull some vehicles and worked it most of the afternoon. I wanted to show it to you and I will keep you posted on the progress. It will be slow as I have many projects going at this time. But a little progress is still progress. \I have it running again that is progress. And check out tha $500. Harrison radiator. Nice radiator support. 2 new batteries for the M1008 that I brought home yesterday started this M1009 rebuild project. if it would not have started I would have moved on but I installed the batteries and glowed it and it started right up. Thank you for looking.

cucvrus

At this point I see a few spots. Nothing major. I bought this M1009 in 1995 with 3200. miles on it. It has 95K on it now. It was a New Mexico national guard vehicle. I fixed afew spots on it back in 2007 when i did the complete repaint on it. It runs super and sounds like a big block Chevy. It has 3 inch exhaust and 5 inch tailpipes. It was a teenage Marines vehicle when it was wrecked. my Son.

ssdvc

Rick, I remember checking that one out in your yard. That's no easy project, but it would make a really nice off road monster!!

cucvrus

All it needs is a frame. That isn't hard. It's just a couple bolts and change the engine. These were the words from my young Marine son when he called me from Camp Lejuene. Well OK Marine have at it. You may use my issued tools for that type of vehicle. The 8 inch adjustable wrench a pair of pliers and I will give you all 4 of the screw drivers. Let me know how you make out. Needless to say the next week it was on my trailer behind my truck homeward bound. Well at least it still runs he said last week. That is a bonus. Take care Scott we will be pulling that body off that frame here in a moth or so. I will post pictures for the amusement of all. I remember changing a frame on an M1028 in 1 weekend. It was just my son and another friend. The 3 of us drove it in on Friday night and I was driving it home on Sunday for supper.

cucvrus

It will really look funny when the entire body is hanging from the ceiling of my barn. About 2 months from now. That should be the pictures I am posting. If my schedule holds out. My son wants to put ton truck axles under it. I am not thrilled with that move. i want it to keep the current axles. no point in tion truck axles under an M1009. that is CUCV Hotrodding. Not my bag. Keep it stock and keep it simple. I fely bad the day I was putting the lift kit on it. Maybe now is the time to jettison that thing also. I already have a rolling frame with the stock axles and springs. that would save a lot of work. To bad it don't have an engine and transmission. It would make the whole job easier. This site has been dead the last couple days.

nyoffroad

Changing bodies/frames isn't bad, I've done it lots of times years ago. (key words YEARS AGO!)
I'd do it now for the right rust free truck, but I'm sure it'd take me quite a while. I've noticed that I work smarter now but parts seem to be heavier.

cucvrus

My M1009 re-frame is hanging in the shadows. I have been bombarded with work and made a lot of my own. I started it this Am and ran it just to keep it exercised and running. I just wanted to post an update in case you give a hoot. If not yea well have a good day anyway.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks