• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Got her running If you hand throttle it throttles up gas pedal it dies

gtmustang196767

Hey guys thanks to floridianson i got the deuce up and running or atleast idling, problem now is if i try to throttle it up with the gas pedal it immediately chokes out and dies, If i use the throttle lock on the dash to throttle it up it will throttle up, kinda lost here any suggestions, also after this happens i have to bleed an injector to get it to idle again, is it being over fueled some how by the pedal? it attempts to kick up but than it dies
'

gtmustang196767

It's idling at about 700 800, after letting it run for about an hour or so last night I was able to move it, but than all of a sudden it choked out again, tried to restart tons of thick black smoke out of the stack, eventually it cleared itself enough for me to handle throttle it to 1000 rpm so I could move it back into its home, i feel like it's getting to much fuel for some reason,

gtmustang196767

I also thinks it's strange because I do realize the pedal and hand throttle are linked. Eventually last night it wouldn't run good either way, sometimes rolling at 500 rpm and even with pulling hand throttle all the way out or gas pedal it wouldn't rev up

gtmustang196767

Would that explain the random choke outs? I could get it to rev all the way to 1500 sometimes no problem the more it ran the better it got and than puke, also id crack two injectors to get it going again and when I closed the second one it would die almost immediately

Jeepsinker

Yeah that sounds about right. The drive key is probably cracked on one side, allowing the plunger shaft to move to just slightly the wrong place, which throws off the timing of the injectors firing. I had one cracked and didn't know it. It would idle fine, but acted stupid under throttle. Got worse and worse until it completely broke and wouldn't run at all.

gtmustang196767

okay, now how do i check out the governor? everything was real seized up on the rig im wondering if the governor is seized up or not functioning correctly due to slude or something?

Jeepsinker

If you think it is the governor, pour a gallon of kerosene in with the oil, run it for ten minutes, then shut it off and let it sit overnight. Change the oil the next day and see what happens. The kerosene will dissolve any sludge that may be sticking the governor weights. DO NOT run the engine over idle, or longer than 10-15 minutes with kerosene in the oil, or you will damage your bearings.

If the drive key is broken, it is a cheap and easy fix.

gtmustang196767

okay, im gunna do the kerosene thing first than after that ill rip off the hh hoping maybe its the governor, Also Are there generic part numbers for the oil and fuel filters so i can get them from say the local napa or do i have to go through a supplier? wanting to have all the filters before i do the kerosene thing, and seeing as i only cleaned the fuel filters and re installed them so far im ready to spend the money on new filters all around.

Jeepsinker

All the napa filter numbers are in the deuce parts quick reference spreadsheet, located in the stickies at the top of the deuce page.

If the drive key is cracked, you'll have to pull the plunger spring off the bottom of the HH to get a look at it. On the other hand, if it is, or does completely break in two, the guts will fall out when you pull the head out of the pump (that's what happened to mine). It isn't a problem, it can only go back together one way.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks