• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

GovPlanet HMMWV without serial number

sail78385

Looking at scooping this up but have no experience with HMMWV or those without serial numbers or data plates? Anyone bought one missing the data tag? I see a few past auctions with trucks missing the tags. Just feel like the information has got to be on the SF-97?

If anyone has any first hand experience I’d love to hear it.

Jinx

Buy me a Coke
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Might only be good for parts. I wouldn't want to deal with the titling nightmare. Buy it with a bill of sale only and avoid the SF-97 nightmare.

TOBASH

Father, Surgeon, Cantankerous Grouch
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Depending on your state, DMV can make a new plate. They can actually make a 17 digit plate if you handle it correctly, depending on where you live. There are several YouTube videos on how to do this when you do not have a serial number. Usually this has to do with people buying restoration projects and putting aftermarket bodies on them, however if you save all your receipts and go to the DMV, and you live in a state like Tennessee, this can be a very easy process.

Thunderbirds

Looking at scooping this up but have no experience with HMMWV or those without serial numbers or data plates? Anyone bought one missing the data tag? I see a few past auctions with trucks missing the tags. Just feel like the information has got to be on the SF-97?

If all else fails, you can always use or sell the truck as a farm truck (like a tractor or implement), banned to stay on the owners' property. The question that comes up is how much money to sink into it to make it usable for that...

I wonder if others could chime in about engine serial numbers or such things?

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
There are allot of pitfalls out there at GP
They have a "basic" M1097 for sale listed as a 1998 right now but if you look at the data plate it is clearly a 1993, whomever buys that truck would be well advised to get that fixed before the SF97 is issued or it will be a nightmare.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
If all else fails, you can always use or sell the truck as a farm truck (like a tractor or implement), banned to stay on the owners' property. The question that comes up is how much money to sink into it to make it usable for that...

I wonder if others could chime in about engine serial numbers or such things?
Only the number on the data plate identifies a HMMWV, no other numbers mean anything, there is a production number but I doubt AMG would provide any info even if they did keep up with it.

Loose Boots

There are allot of pitfalls out there at GP
They have a "basic" M1097 for sale listed as a 1998 right now but if you look at the data plate it is clearly a 1993, whomever buys that truck would be well advised to get that fixed before the SF97 is issued or it will be a nightmare.

i bought one that was advertised 1988, then sf97 said it was a 2015. They then changed the ad and invoice online when i called about it. Had to BBB and threaten to sue for them to finally properly research it and figure out sf97 had been filled out wrong. Still waiting on the corrected paperwork. so def. make sure to email them and get every bit of info they have on it. I've heard you can FOIA to get the vehicle full history but haven't tried that myself. Also, some HMMWV's like mine, have had engine replaced, which local dmv said might be a problem verifying serial.
And just so you know, a bill of sale costs like $75 extra, SF97 $115 and I think a title was $200. The SF 97 will be the one they got when they bought it transferring ownership to them, with a letter of transfer so you then have to go to DMV and pay to have them transfer it into your name. All you get included in the sale is an invoice.
if you have to ship it, give veritread a few days to get you quotes. My first 2 days were in the thousands then i got quotes for $650. Hope any of this info helps.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
i bought one that was advertised 1988, then sf97 said it was a 2015. They then changed the ad and invoice online when i called about it. Had to BBB and threaten to sue for them to finally properly research it and figure out sf97 had been filled out wrong. Still waiting on the corrected paperwork. so def. make sure to email them and get every bit of info they have on it. I've heard you can FOIA to get the vehicle full history but haven't tried that myself. Also, some HMMWV's like mine, have had engine replaced, which local dmv said might be a problem verifying serial.
And just so you know, a bill of sale costs like $75 extra, SF97 $115 and I think a title was $200. The SF 97 will be the one they got when they bought it transferring ownership to them, with a letter of transfer so you then have to go to DMV and pay to have them transfer it into your name. All you get included in the sale is an invoice.
if you have to ship it, give veritread a few days to get you quotes. My first 2 days were in the thousands then i got quotes for $650. Hope any of this info helps.
The engine serial number never had anything to do with the vehicle serial number (VIN) on any HMMWV
There is also no frame number, the only serial number is on the data plate

sail78385

Thank you all! I ultimately passed on the HMMWV that was missing the data plate. I had a budget to stick to and I was surprised it sold for as much as it did, obviously the running HMMWVs sell for more than the non running ones.

Loose Boots

The engine serial number never had anything to do with the vehicle serial number (VIN) on any HMMWV
There is also no frame number, the only serial number is on the data plate
New to registering them myself, DMV said they had to verify it from the 3 locations. So I guess he's gonna be learning something too when I get the paperwork in..LOL.

Loose Boots

Thank you all! I ultimately passed on the HMMWV that was missing the data plate. I had a budget to stick to and I was surprised it sold for as much as it did, obviously the running HMMWVs sell for more than the non running ones.
Don't give up. Sometimes you get lucky. I set a max of $6k, after 2 months finally won...but had accidentally bid on one that didnt run (yes, i'm an idiot and didn't double check my wishlist) . Only thing wrong with it was basic maintenance ( filters, glow plugs, bad fuel) and Fuel injector pump. Still under my $6k limit. If you can work on it yourself might be worth looking into the non-running.

sail78385

Don't give up. Sometimes you get lucky. I set a max of $6k, after 2 months finally won...but had accidentally bid on one that didnt run (yes, i'm an idiot and didn't double check my wishlist) . Only thing wrong with it was basic maintenance ( filters, glow plugs, bad fuel) and Fuel injector pump. Still under my $6k limit. If you can work on it yourself might be worth looking into the non-running.
Thank you! I did end up buying a clean non running hmmwv. I’ve definitely got my work cut out for me. I’m excited to learn something new. Will probably have to swap the engine with another one so should be a good challenge for me in my low buck garage.

Loose Boots

Thank you! I did end up buying a clean non running hmmwv. I’ve definitely got my work cut out for me. I’m excited to learn something new. Will probably have to swap the engine with another one so should be a good challenge for me in my low buck garage.
Just make sure to check all your lines, Mine actually started the day I got it. Ran for 30 min. (still not sure how). But the fuel was old and filled with algea, my injector and fuel shutoff valve were all gummed up and solenoid tried so hard to move it it broke. Before you swap the whole engine, make sure its not something simple.
Also, you might not need to hear this but just in case Never jump start it. My understanding, without using slave cables can cause the smart box to blow out.
They are very fun to work on, especially now that i'm not just doing a PMCS but learning how it works.

If you need to swap your Injector pump, most places will tell you you can only get remanned. Diesel Control Technicians in KS can get brand new from the factory, and for the same price as some remanned. Great small company.

Please keep us posted on your progress.

Mogman

Staff member
Steel Soldiers Supporter
New to registering them myself, DMV said they had to verify it from the 3 locations. So I guess he's gonna be learning something too when I get the paperwork in..LOL.
If in fact you have to have three locations then you are sunk, there is only one place on a HMMWV that has the serial number and that is the data plate.
Maybe the folks you are talking to are just ignorant.
Hopefully someone from NE will chime in here.

sail78385

Just make sure to check all your lines, Mine actually started the day I got it. Ran for 30 min. (still not sure how). But the fuel was old and filled with algea, my injector and fuel shutoff valve were all gummed up and solenoid tried so hard to move it it broke. Before you swap the whole engine, make sure its not something simple.
Also, you might not need to hear this but just in case Never jump start it. My understanding, without using slave cables can cause the smart box to blow out.
They are very fun to work on, especially now that i'm not just doing a PMCS but learning how it works.

If you need to swap your Injector pump, most places will tell you you can only get remanned. Diesel Control Technicians in KS can get brand new from the factory, and for the same price as some remanned. Great small company.

Please keep us posted on your progress.
thank you for the support! I started a thread on it on the modified hmmwv section. Im confident the engine is full of water….
IMG_3256.jpegIMG_3255.jpegIMG_3254.jpegIMG_3253.jpegIMG_3252.jpeg

Loose Boots

well, the outside is very pretty. Yeah, i'd bet on there being more than water in there, lol. but on the plus side, you get to be creative with what you put in it now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks