• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Graveyard CUCV's brought back

ryan77

6 slave cables? Ive trying to get one for 2 years!!!!!! That kid should be promoted 2 ranks for the job he did on those trucks using limited parts etc!!!!:)

ABN173

I might re enlist so i can go through the garbage dumps over there!!! Lol
Ha wow ok stay away from 88M (driver/IED hunter)

All kidding aside before I started collecting MV's I have seen so much stuff being thrown out even old field desk, now I wish I had one. I'm going to start keeping a better eye on stuff being thrown out before I retire in a few years.

-Dale

ABN173

To bad you can't bring some of that stuff back with you!:popcorn:
Getting it back would be fairly easy. It all has data plates still so it would be as simple as talking to the right people and adding it to the manifest. Now being ethical or legal is another matter, he definitely would not have a SF-97. Say his unit wanted to do a FOI (found on installation) and add it to the property book that would be acceptable..........well until a higher up caught it and started asking why they still had a CUCV on the books!:lol: Still if it became a PAO story I bet he would be allowed to keep it, but oh man it would be a real PITA to hash that one out!

-Dale

cpf240

That is some awesome work! Just because it is old, doesn't mean it isn't useful anymore. I can appreciate the logistics issues of supporting outdated hardware, but still...

Slave cables? I know what they go for on that evil auction site. Wonder what they go for when found in the dump?

Thank you, and him, for your service!

JSF01

Getting it back would be fairly easy. It all has data plates still so it would be as simple as talking to the right people and adding it to the manifest. Now being ethical or legal is another matter, he definitely would not have a SF-97. Say his unit wanted to do a FOI (found on installation) and add it to the property book that would be acceptable..........well until a higher up caught it and started asking why they still had a CUCV on the books!:lol: Still if it became a PAO story I bet he would be allowed to keep it, but oh man it would be a real PITA to hash that one out!

-Dale
Ok I have to ask what does PAO stand for?

ABN173

PAO= Public Affairs Office

The military sometime does unusual things that break from the norm if they can put a positive public affairs spin on it. Probably not going to happen in this case, just something I mentioned.

-Dale

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PAO= Public Affairs Office

The military sometime does unusual things that break from the norm if they can put a positive public affairs spin on it. Probably not going to happen in this case, just something I mentioned.

-Dale
Send me the CUCV with the service body and a few slave cables and i'll mail the PAO Christmas cards each year for the rest of my life!
Hows that for a positive spin?

jets1959

Send me the CUCV with the service body and a few slave cables and i'll mail the PAO Christmas cards each year for the rest of my life!
Hows that for a positive spin?
It is the new touchy feely military. They will only accept cards and flowers as a minimum.rofl

mich6212

What a small world! I believe I know where you are because I have seen this vehicle too. I am across from the Niagra DFC and boardwalk. Sound familiar?:)

I was just at the DRMO today. It sounds like this place is going through the fate of many GL sites. You would all be so depressed to see so many MV and such just waiting in line to be cut up with an oxy torch. :-(

ABN173

Yeah we are in the the same AO. we can meet up at Green Beans for a coffee and call it a Steel Soldiers mini-rally.

-Dale

tourus

well I think the trucks are cooland like said great job for what he had. but where can A person get those rims here state side?? Really love them rims!!!

ABN173

well I think the trucks are cooland like said great job for what he had. but where can A person get those rims here state side?? Really love them rims!!!
You can find them on gov liquidation all the time. even craigslist and ebay. I just paid for 4 myself and will pick them up once I get back home.

-Dale

Action Man

OK Fella's

I walked by again today and this time a spoke to a young SPC(E-4) turns out he is the guy who pulled them and brought em back to life!

Also I may have recruited a new member! I gave him the website link and he is a mechanic based out of FT Hood.

He shed a lot of new light on the matter. He says the bucket seats came out of a 5ton truck. The emergency lights are stock item for MRAP's. He built the bed on one since the pick-up bed on it was rusted and mangled. He said he showed his wife the pics of his build and she said "I guess you want one now".

He had to fab a new battery box on one as well as replaced an engine with an older 6.5 HMMWV engine. Kid has done a lot of work. He is about ready to leave here too, I could tell he really wants to take the one with the lights back with him, but says the incoming unit will need them too. I suspect and hope he joins the site and chimes in here with his own personal account of the build rather than my "Cliff Notes" version!

Also, he did have the spacers made out here at a shop on base Anyway I told him about my truck and he pulled out a small clear lens LED light bar for my truck! They are cheap made in china sets but should be a nice addition. I guess he bought a bunch of them from local market or something........... also had about 6 extra slave cable sets he pulled from the grave yard or that unit before him left here :whistle:

Anyway I'll post more pics later after I re-size them.
I know this is an ancient thread, but I had to comment on this. That's pretty resourceful! The guy who did that DOES deserve a promotion. I'd be sad to leave that behind if I were him. Gave me some ideas for when I get mine in any case.