• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Grinding Transfer Case

12vctd

Also every NP208 I have opened up has had steel mode(shift ) forks not alum. The cases are alum but the forks and supporting hardware inside the case is steel. But there is the nylon keepers on the forks.

4bogginchevys

no you should not run it with the hubs open.
If you dont mind me askin', why?

I have done it for ever, in every truck i've ever owned without any problems....and i've never broken a case, or had any hub trouble related to them being unlocked while in 4wd hi or low.

If I had to guess why, I would say it could be a problem if your front shaft isn't balanced...or maybe if you have had an issue with hubs not engaging/disengaging properly.

I'm ready to learn:!:

Last edited:

Milkman357

Update...

I'm not sure on the "why not to run in 4 wheel drive with hub sin Free" I think I read that on the Sun visor describing 4 Wheel Drive operation. I would think it would be ok....I'm curious also...

Update. I ran out of time it's almost Midnight the way it is.... (boy I like those halogen worklights!)

I was getting ready to remove the front driveshaft when I noticed the right front tire wasn't locked....hmm. So that may be the root of my problem...not the transfer case.

I took it apart, cleaned the parts and put back together. Havn't road tested it yet. I didn't like the way the Axle didn't seem centered as it was sticking out of Locking mechanism...I may have a bigger front end problem.

And there was a snap ring, that didnt seem to fit anything... in the hub. LOL them mechanics!

Once I get some money I'm gonna have the front gone thru....by someone I trust.

I can road test tommorrow sometime.

jumpmasterjim

That snap ring goes on the end of the axel shaft. You may need to pull it out a hair. Check an exploded view picture or diagram if you have one or go online Its usually a bit of a pain to get that clip on. At least I have trouble 70% of the time I do them.

Milkman357

Snap ring

Yea I had 2 snap rings....

The one on the end of the axle...+

one before the hub nuts? It was bigger than the axle one....just sitting on the shaft.....spinning....not doin nothin.

What is a trick getting the Snap ring back on the end of the axle....geez.

Milkman357

My Mechanic...

Ok I got it in the mechanic...

Hubs ok. MY springs on the lockouts are weak.....need new locking hubs....

Transfer case is shot....

I couldn't get the top fill plug loose....my mechanic did.... Transfer case didn't leak because it was dry.!!!

Bearing inside wobble.... Junk flushed out.... Looks like plastic from the adjustment forks.... Chain moves more than 1 1/2 when you spin the front yolk...

Now I need another NP208....

allrevup

You should run the T/C atleast ones a month with the hubs engage, I do think running a single hub locked harms anything, is done a lot under icy conditions works as a temp LSD just make shure to unlock it ones you are in none slipery surfuce.
Look in ebay ($75-$150 average plus S/H ) less then a good rebuilt kit but a gamble, two used HD NP208C under "CUCV" that appear to be LOW miles miliatary from surplus dealers(maybe SS members) should have the right spling count 30 something(?) I had a New in crates OEM HD NP208C built in '92 and a New late 90's built 4L80 just sold then just a few month ago as I had to make room for other things as they were colecting things around then:-x

2deuce

About the locking hubs... I got my M1009 from GL. Both my locking hubs had the spring in backwards so that the hubs would always be locked in gear no matter if it was selected in free or locked it was always locked. I wouldn't have found this out if I didn't have a wheel bearing go out. I wonder how many other trucks are running with the hubs in free but really locked in because the army wanted no freewheeling mistakes.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks