• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

gutless turd

tsstout

Admittedly I have replaced my gauge panel... but the "flashing lights when speeding" have me thinking the speedo is close... But my old gal flys... She's noisy, a regular rust bucket, and her carbon footprint is humongous... but she runs like a gazelle... I had her fully loaded, romping down the highway at 60... Now I'm concerned I have over worked her... She is a friend of mine, ya know..... :)

gregary

Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think the best way to figure this out is to do one improvement at a time. I talked with a guy in Tulsa who has a chassis dyno. He offered a discount price for multiple pulls. First things first though, he can't do dualls. So, the Bob will begin as scheduled, next week. He recommended leaving the bed off while we do this little experiment. [less weight on the dyno drums] Hope to get a baseline number at the rear wheels next month. All I'm after is for the truck to cruise at 65 mph riding on 52" tires and not bog down to 40 at the slightest hill.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks for all the feedback guys. I think the best way to figure this out is to do one improvement at a time. I talked with a guy in Tulsa who has a chassis dyno. He offered a discount price for multiple pulls. First things first though, he can't do dualls. So, the Bob will begin as scheduled, next week. He recommended leaving the bed off while we do this little experiment. [less weight on the dyno drums] Hope to get a baseline number at the rear wheels next month. All I'm after is for the truck to cruise at 65 mph riding on 52" tires and not bog down to 40 at the slightest hill.
Does your truck have a air shift t-case? Reason I ask this is you don't want to hook up a truck with a sprag case up to a dyno. Bad things will happen :shock:. You could still put a tandem truck on the dyno, just pull the axles in one of the rears or remove the driveshaft between the two.

GoHot229

it only has 130hp@2600rpm... now put that through a .79:1 OD gearset and a transfer case with a high range of 1.01:1 and top it off with 6.72:1 rear ends you're not going to go fast. Your options are this: more rpm which will help out on the flats and hills, or new gears for real improvements in speed. If you put a .65:1 od gear set in the transmission you can get the truck up about 70mph without changing the engine from the road speed formulas I'm using. Personally I want a lower-range and higher-high range by using either a new fuller six-speed box or maybe a quadbox. I think a quadbox with two speed transfer case could be really neat to drive.
This .65:1 gearset your talking about, what, where, What does it come from ie. what trans origginaly or are they aftermarket? please enlighten, as I'v not heard of these gears before.

mudguppy

...There are kits to put disc brakes on Rockwells.....prob be worth the time and expence considering the cost of lawyers.
none of the available kit'ed disc brake conversions will handle anything over GVW of 8k lbs. i've spoken with all of the makers of these kits - most only use a 12" rotor. the closest that i could find to working well was a 14" rotor with f350 calipers, but the manufacturer still wouldn't stand behind their brakes in that application. the rear kits would be fine, but the front kits are severly lacking.

however, that manufacturer is currently beta testing a higher GVW system that would work - 15+" rotor and f550 calipers.

best set up is (for now) custom: 17" F650/750 rotors and F350/550 rear calipers for the front.

grounded

Banned
I got a set of them on one of my offroad trucks and have sometimes conteplated putting the disk brakes on my deuce if i bobbed it, or finding a way to perportion it with the duals on the rear. But dont want to spend almost 3k on my truck to just try out disk brakes. (i can get 2 deuces for that price ;) ) but i got a 16" rotor and F550 calipers, and i got to have a 20" rim on it for it to clear

mudguppy

that's why i was looking - wanted to disc brake a bob'd deuce for more predictable handling w/ XZLs. but none of the kit companies would touch it, even w/ a GVW of no more than 12k.

i'm very interested in your set up. if i could duplicate for the front, then a kit'd rear system would work and i'd be set. got pictures?

wait - what was this thread about? oh yeah - the OP should try turning up the pump. :-D